Info on the last draft

Saw this on NBA.com about the 1998 draft, involving the Celtics attempt
to get Denver's 3rd pick:

http://www.nba.com/Nuggets/vanexel_feature.html

Excerpt:

"Boston was trying to get our first-round pick, the third pick overall,"
recounted Nuggets general manager Dan Issel. "Boston called and said,
'We think we can get Van Exel. Would you be interested in talking about
a deal with your third pick that included Van Exel and some other stuff?'
That was the first time that his name came up.

"So I called Jerry. Jerry and I, for some reason, have always had a real
good relationship. I really respect Jerry and what he's done. I've said
before, there are like three people around the league I really trust: Pete
Babock, Donnie Walsh and Jerry West. So I called Jerry and I said,
'Jerry, I just had an interesting conversation with Boston.' I said, 'I don't
know why I have to deal with Boston to get one of your players.'

"Jerry said, 'I don't want to trade him, but I think for everybody's best
interest, including Nick's, we're going to have to move him.' He never
said this, but I think what was in the back of his mind was, 'If I have to
move Nick, I'd rather move him to a crummy team than a good one.'

My guess is that Jerry West wanted Knight and the 10th pick for Van Exel,
with the hope of taking Jason Williams. Boston would do the trade if
Denver was willing to part with their third pick. The Celtics probably
would want LaFrentz. Anyways, I'm certainly happy with the ways things
turned out but it's interesting to get an inside look at Boston's
trade attempts.

Alex