ML Dissapointed With Pitino And The Celtics

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Carr left at a loss

                                He expected more of Pitino's team

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 05/05/99

                                The new job does not allow him to
                                recite his title quickly. It's not
                                like two years ago, when ''coach'' or
                                ''GM'' was all you needed to describe M.L.
                                Carr. Now, as the Celtics' executive vice
                                president of corporate development, Carr
                                has a title and job description that
                                cannot be summed up quickly and neatly.
                                His feelings, however, can be.

                                ''Disappointed,'' says the 48-year-old
                                Carr.

                                His disappointment does not come from the
                                new job, a position that requires him to
                                find nontraditional revenue streams for
                                the Celtics. He said he loves the work.
                                What he clearly doesn't enjoy is knowing
                                that the season will end with tonight's
                                game against the Charlotte Hornets at the
                                FleetCenter. Carr got a $1 million bonus
                                for guiding the Celtics to a
                                franchise-worst 15-67 record in 1996-97.
                                The team had two high lottery picks and 10
                                free agents waiting for Rick Pitino in the
                                summer of '97. As a Celtic-lover and
                                Celtic fan, Carr said, he thought he would
                                see more than a 19-30 record at the end of
                                the 1999 season.

                                ''Because of the way things were set up, I
                                expected we'd be much further along at
                                this point,'' he said. ''I never thought
                                we'd be back in the lottery two years in a
                                row. The reason I say that is positioning.
                                We had two high draft picks that turned
                                out to be two good players in Ron Mercer
                                and Chauncey Billups. Couple that with
                                Antoine [Walker] and some of the other
                                pieces we had, and there was a reason to
                                be excited.''

                                Carr discussed many things during a
                                35-minute telephone interview yesterday.
                                He praised Red Auerbach. He said chairman
                                of the board Paul Gaston has shown a
                                commitment to winning. He said Walker is a
                                ''fine young man'' who handled being booed
                                well. He said the renounced Rick Fox could
                                have been a good leader for the young
                                Celtics. He said a winning Celtic team
                                invigorates New England and is good for
                                every aspect of the region.

                                ''The Celtics' championships have been
                                interwoven into the fabric of New
                                England,'' he said. ''People say, `I was
                                at such-and-such company when the Celtics
                                won their 10th.' Or, `I remember Cousy,
                                Sharman, Russell ...'''

                                One person he never mentioned, directly,
                                was Pitino. But it seemed obvious that
                                Carr, who has remained in contact with
                                many former and current Celtics, was not
                                directing his disappointment toward the
                                players.

                                ''I'm disappointed for everyone
                                involved,'' he said. ''I'm disappointed
                                for the players, disappointed for the
                                fans. As one of the caretakers of this
                                wonderful institution, I'm disappointed
                                that it's been such a grind for us. With
                                the way the system goes, you have to get
                                worse before you can get better, and we
                                took it there. I'm sure if you look at it,
                                you'd have to be disappointed in not
                                winning.''

                                During his two seasons coaching the
                                Celtics, Carr compiled a 48-116 record,
                                the worst winning percentage (.293) in
                                team history. Many observers and players
                                understood that the 15-win season was an
                                unabashed attempt to acquire 7-foot center
                                Tim Duncan in the draft. But Duncan is now
                                an MVP candidate in San Antonio, while the
                                first player the Celtics drafted that year
                                - Billups - is in Denver. And some of the
                                other teams who participated in that '97
                                lottery with the Celtics and Spurs, such
                                as the Pistons, 76ers, and Bucks, are
                                headed to the playoffs.

                                Speaking of the playoffs, Carr is not
                                overwhelmed by having them as a goal,
                                either. He recalled a story from the early
                                1980s when the Celtics were celebrating
                                the best record in the Eastern Conference.
                                Auerbach asked what the players were
                                doing.

                                ''We said, `Red, we just finished with the
                                best record in the East,''' Carr said.
                                ''And he said, `You didn't win anything;
                                we only celebrate championships in
                                Boston.'''

                                Carr has seen comments by Pitino basically
                                guaranteeing that the Celtics will be a
                                playoff team next season.

                                ''Sixteen teams make the playoffs,'' Carr
                                said. ''Obviously you have to make the
                                playoffs to win a championship. But that
                                should be a path on the way to winning,
                                not the goal.''

                                Pitino was not surprised that Carr labeled
                                the season disappointing; he called it
                                ''one of my least enjoyable'' in 25 years
                                of coaching.

                                ''You could talk to John Havlicek and he'd
                                be disappointed,'' Pitino said. ''You
                                could talk to Bill Russell and he'd be
                                disappointed. Quite frankly, M.L. has no
                                bearing on our organization at all. If he
                                said positive things, it wouldn't really
                                have any bearing. We'd rather have
                                positives than negatives, but there's no
                                disappointment in his remarks. Because
                                nobody is content or happy about losing.''

                                Pitino's current two-season record is
                                55-76. This will be the first time in his
                                career that he ends a two-season stint
                                with a sub-.500 record. He is confident
                                that will change.

                                ''When I'm done coaching, we'll look back
                                and say, `How good did you do?''' Pitino
                                said. ''I took over a team that had the
                                worst record in the history of the Boston
                                Celtics. M.L. got his opportunity and now
                                I'll get my opportunity. It will speak for
                                itself. The record will speak for itself,
                                regardless of what anybody says.

                                ''His remarks would only be relevant if he
                                were the coach. My remarks are only
                                relevant when I'm the coach. I don't knock
                                him; I never have. He had his opportunity
                                to coach, he did his thing, it was an
                                unsuccessful venture and now we're getting
                                an opportunity.

                                ''So far, we're not having great success
                                yet, but we're going to try and build it
                                and make it back there. I'm on record as
                                saying that in the third or fourth year
                                we're going to be a playoff contender and
                                in the fifth or sixth year we're going to
                                be at the championship level.''

                                Carr said his mission was to take the team
                                through difficult times, get it in decent
                                position, and then turn it over to a
                                ''career coach.'' But he did not like it
                                when he saw ''expansion team'' and
                                ''Celtics'' mentioned in the same
                                sentence. Carr didn't mention names, but
                                fans may remember that Pitino made the
                                analogy when talking about building the
                                current Celtics.

                                ''If this is an expansion team, it is the
                                first one with 16 championships,'' Carr
                                said. ''There is too much history and
                                pride with the organization; there is too
                                much richness to put it in that category.
                                Quite frankly, that is insulting when you
                                have Red Auerbach here and those 16 great
                                championships.''

                                Pitino clarified his position yesterday.

                                ''We're not an expansion team; we're
                                building like an expansion team,'' he
                                said. ''That's what we're saying. He has
                                to read it the right way. We're building
                                the same way that the Grizzlies built,
                                that Toronto built. We're adding free
                                agents, we're doing it through the draft.

                                ''When you start over, when you win 15
                                games, how do you build? You build through
                                the draft and pick up whatever you can.''

                                One thing Carr is not disappointed in is
                                the Celtics' last draft.

                                ''With Paul Pierce,'' he said, ''the good
                                Lord smiled on us and brought him with the
                                10th pick.''

                                He likes Dana Barros, Walker, Mercer, and
                                Kenny Anderson, too.

                                ''We've got some good pieces,'' he said.
                                ''I'm just really looking forward to next
                                year. We'll have our new practice
                                facility, guys will have a full season to
                                practice.

                                ''I think all of New England is really
                                dying to see us back on top. It's a real
                                good feeling, looking to next year. I
                                think there's a reason to be optimistic.''

                                This story ran on page C01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 05/05/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.