Pitino Says He'll Kill Himself If The Team Plays This Bad Next Season

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Critical adjustment in Pitino's remarks

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 03/30/99

                                WALTHAM - Rick
                                Pitino said
                                yesterday that he was
                                only kidding. He's not
                                belittling the talk
                                radio callers who
                                question his moves and
                                his team. He, of all
                                people, wants everyone
                                to lighten up.

                                ''With the situation we're in, why can't
                                people understand that?'' he said
                                following the team's final practice at
                                Brandeis. They move into their new
                                facility tomorrow.

                                After Sunday's loss to Indiana, Pitino
                                said, ''I want people to be negative on
                                me. I want people to create that
                                adversity, because we'll deal with it and
                                get better ... The 4 percent of the people
                                who don't work for a living and call in
                                those shows, I'm not talking about those
                                people. I'm talking about the people who
                                are gainfully employed and work hard in
                                life.''

                                Asked yesterday about whether he had
                                become the Marquis de Pitino, the coach
                                again said he feels the ongoing adversity
                                will, in the long run, prove to be a
                                positive.

                                ''So in the interim, yeah, come after me
                                all you want,'' he said. ''I'll take it. I
                                deserve it.''

                                He said people should not have expected
                                better things from his team this year
                                because of the lockout and the team's
                                youth.

                                ''If it was that easy to be that much
                                better, then this league is not good,'' he
                                said. ''If you can do without practice,
                                without preparation, or without
                                conditioning, then I don't think this
                                league is very much, especially with this
                                basketball team.''

                                But next year, well, that's another story.
                                They'll be older and wiser, and Pitino has
                                all but promised a playoff berth, based on
                                his belief that the team also will be in
                                better shape, mentally and physically.

                                If things go badly next year, he said,
                                ''Not only will I take it, I'll kill
                                myself. So you don't have to worry about
                                killing me because I'll kill me. The best
                                bridge to hang from is the BU Bridge.
                                That's what I love the most is the BU
                                Bridge because of starting out there at a
                                very young age.''

                                Basketball has pretty much dropped to
                                topic No. 2 these days behind Team
                                Psychology. If it's not the players'
                                angst, it's the coach's public embrace of
                                the bad times. Pitino spends almost as
                                much time talking about the ''fellowship
                                of the miserable'' - his phrase for those
                                who listen to sports talk radio - as he
                                does about the reasons his team is 9-18.

                                ''I was kidding around when I call it the
                                fellowship of the miserable,'' he said.
                                ''I say that tongue-in-cheek. If anyone
                                asks me to go on a radio show with the
                                fellowship of the miserable, I'll be on
                                it. That's my job. But I'm joking
                                around.''

                                He wasn't joking, however, when he talked
                                about people who don't understand the big
                                picture.

                                ''What I don't like from the fellowship of
                                the miserable,'' he said, ''is don't not
                                understand the situation. And don't even
                                take into consideration that we're in the
                                second year with a young team without
                                practice, without conditioning. We all got
                                locked out. So, don't start the
                                negativity. I don't want to hear that.''

                                He said Antoine Walker showed ''great
                                character'' in playing well against
                                Indiana after getting booed mercilessly in
                                the two previous games at the FleetCenter,
                                in which Walker was 3 for 29 from the
                                field. He said what the people want and
                                deserve are performances like the victory
                                Friday in Philadelphia and the loss to
                                Indiana on Sunday.

                                ''I've noticed a tremendous change in the
                                players' attitude in the last two games,''
                                he said.

                                He added, ''Losing is not good. I think
                                adversity is good. Adversity, if you have
                                character, brings out the best. If you
                                don't have character, it brings out the
                                worst. I think all this adversity is
                                good.''

                                This story ran on page C05 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/30/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.