                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 03/28/99

                                Even though it's still very much
                                this year, we are being told to
                                wait until next year. We can understand
                                why Rick Pitino can't wait. But every
                                Celtic fan should be asking a simple
                                question: Why?

                                Yes, the Celtics of next year will have
                                had a summer of workouts, a full training
                                camp, a chance to relearn Pitino's system,
                                providing he has decided to stick around.
                                But so what? Every other team, including
                                all those currently ahead of the Celtics
                                in the standings, will have the same
                                luxury.

                                There has been a constant with Pitino's
                                teams. He inherits a train wreck, gets
                                blood from a rock in Year 1 and then makes
                                progress in Year 2. He did it at Boston
                                University, at Providence, at New York,
                                and at Kentucky. He's not doing it with
                                the Celtics, for a number of reasons, some
                                unavoidable.

                                We can blame the lockout, and there is
                                some legitimacy there. But other than the
                                Nets, what club with even modest
                                expectations has dropped like a stone this
                                way?

                                Maybe I'm missing something, but what
                                exactly is so promising about next year?

                                You have Antoine Walker, who is basically
                                the same player he was three years ago
                                (albeit $71 million richer), has lost none
                                of his bad habits, and continues to be
                                protected by the organization.

                                You have a veteran point guard who is
                                disinclined to play the kind of defense
                                that the coach demands and looks for his
                                own shot. That's not going to change. (I'd
                                bet that Kenny Anderson is the one Pitino
                                doesn't especially enjoy coaching.)

                                You have a promising rookie in Paul Pierce
                                but right now the basketball court looks
                                like the last place he wants to be.

                                You also have a coach who has to wonder
                                why he left one of the three best jobs in
                                college basketball, one in which he had
                                control over his players and was the
                                undisputed king. You have a coach with a
                                reputation on the line who's threatening
                                to trade players, who threatens to bench
                                players and then doesn't do it, who works
                                them mercilessly and rides them
                                constantly.

                                And you have players affected by that
                                athletic curse - ''potential'' - whose
                                hypothetical leader, Walker, was recently
                                given a choke sign by Ron Harper and
                                dissed by Chuck Person.

                                What more can we say about Walker? The
                                Celtics made the decision to build around
                                him, either ignoring or refusing to
                                believe that they might be building a
                                house of straw. There have been enough
                                warning signs along the way. You would be
                                surprised, or maybe you wouldn't, at how
                                many general managers think he's talented
                                but too much of a selfish bow-wow.

                                Pitino made his own bed with Anderson.
                                He's got him for four more years at pretty
                                sizable numbers ($31.73 million). Anderson
                                is what he is, and he's not going to be
                                magically transformed into Gary Payton
                                soon. He's a mediocre defender on his best
                                days. He's best running an offense in a
                                halfcourt set. He's fragile and he's a
                                career 40 percent shooter. None of this
                                was a trade secret when the deal was made.
                                (We hear that Pitino hopes
                                defensive-minded Wayne Turner slips to the
                                second round of the draft.)

                                Pierce, meanwhile, looks miserable. Is it
                                his ankle, or is it something else, such
                                as Walker getting in his way, Pitino
                                getting in his face, or the simple matter
                                of the rookie standing futilely on the
                                perimeter, waving for the ball as if he's
                                trying to hail a cab in a rainstorm in
                                Manhattan? We are told that he has been
                                brought to tears behind closed doors.
                                Here's what he told columnist Joe
                                Posnanski of the Kansas City Star eight
                                days ago when there was that
                                ''miscommunication'' problem in New York
                                over the status of his ankle: ''It was a
                                lot more fun at Kansas. Everybody liked
                                each other at Kansas.''

                                Pierce said those remarks were made out of
                                frustration and that he is comfortable in
                                his new surroundings and with new
                                teammates. We couldn't tell whether his
                                nose was growing.

                                Now we learn from Sports Illustrated that
                                Pitino wanted to trade two of his better,
                                unselfish role players, Bruce Bowen and
                                Tony Battie, for Rodney Rogers, an
                                overweight slug who is a free agent and
                                would add absolutely nothing. (Bowen and
                                Battie would add nothing to the Clippers,
                                either, which makes you wonder why either
                                team wanted to do this.)

                                This is all supposed to fire us up for
                                next year? Maybe the Celtics are playing
                                possum. Maybe they're a 50-win team and
                                will prove us all wrong. One thing they
                                aren't, contrary to the coach's belief, is
                                an expansion team.

                                Pitino inherited a 30-win team that
                                decided to win 15 games and succeeded. He
                                could have kept David Wesley, Rick Fox,
                                and Eric Williams. He elected not to do so
                                and blew it all apart. That was his choice
                                and we gave him the benefit of the doubt
                                as long as we saw progress.

                                Right now, he's got a team going in the
                                wrong direction and players going through
                                the motions who seem to be rebelling
                                against him. This is supposed to get us
                                psyched for next year and that guaranteed
                                playoff berth? I don't know about you, but
                                based on what I'm seeing, I can't wait.
                                <snip>

                                ... Hey Celtics players,
                                take comfort. The Lakers also got booed on
                                Wednesday night by the Forum faithful
                                after the Suns jumped on them early.
                                Phoenix lost the lead, but won down the
                                stretch, as O'Neal managed 1 point in the
                                fourth quarter. It was LA's first loss
                                with Dennis Rodman playing, and the crowd
                                even resorted to chants of ''Eddie,
                                Eddie,'' in honor of the departed Eddie
                                Jones. Luc Longley also finally had a
                                Foster's moment, delivering an 18-point,
                                11-rebound effort. Said the Lakers' Derek
                                Harper, ''We're not there as a team, pure
                                and simple. We're up, we're down.'' Sounds
                                a lot like what Fox said last week. <snip>

                                The Celtics plan to move
                                into their new practice facility this
                                week. It's about the only bright news
                                emanating from the team these days. But
                                even this development is clouded by the
                                realization that there isn't much time for
                                practice no matter where they gather.

                                This story ran on page C06 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/28/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.