Pitino and continuity

Scott Layden (of the Utah Jazz) has an interview on ESPN.com.

"I look around, not only in basketball but in pro sports in general, and it
seems that the franchises that hire and fire coaches every other year will
have a tough time being successful. If you know you have a good coach,
you've got to stick with him not only in the good times, but more importantly
through the tough times."

I think this is exactly the case in Boston right now. The Celtics had a
pretty impressive season last year, in my opinion, and Pitino did a great
job. Halfway through this season, under pretty tough circumstances, the team
hits a major slump and everyone wants him gone. I'm glad that Gaston has
given the team a chance to have some long-term continuity in management
because the Celtics will never reach the top if the GM/coach gets changed
every two years or every time the team underperforms. And they will
occasionally no matter who coaches. I agree that Phil Jackson was a great
coach for the Bulls. But can he coach a young team? And who knows if he will
be a great GM?

I'm definitely waiting to see what kind of moves Pitino makes this offseason
and how the team finishes next season. If they don't make the playoffs,
which is what Pitino has promised from the beginning, that is when he should
be in trouble.

Alex