Pitino: Everything Written In The Holley Column Is 1000 Percent False

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]

                                CELTICS NOTEBOOK
                                Pitino disputes column

                                He holds a team meeting to discuss
                                critical comments

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 03/27/99

                                PHILADELPHIA - Rick Pitino said he
                                had another team meeting
                                yesterday. The purpose was to discuss some
                                of the comments made about him in a column
                                that appeared in yesterday's Globe.

                                ''Everything written was 1,000 percent
                                false,'' Pitino said before the Celtics
                                played the 76ers at the First Union
                                Center. ''There was not an ounce of truth
                                to it.'' But, Pitino remarked, ''I don't
                                doubt that those things were said.''

                                Pitino said he disputed several segments
                                of the column. They were:

                                The assertion that he singled out Paul
                                Pierce following the Celtics' loss to the
                                Nets March 1. Several sources claimed that
                                the coach blamed the rookie forward. He
                                denied that. ''I would never say one
                                player was responsible for a loss.'' He
                                said he instructed Pierce about a
                                defensive error in that game, but that he
                                did not see Pierce crying, as sources said
                                he did.

                                The assertion that he screams and curses
                                at players.

                                ''I know that's false, because I have a
                                policy this year where I am not going to
                                curse,'' he said.

                                The assertion that he hungers for control
                                to the point where he monitors the tickets
                                players are allotted for each game.

                                ''I don't even know how many tickets the
                                players get,'' he said. ''My style of
                                management is just the opposite: I allow
                                people to do their jobs and concentrate on
                                basketball.''

                                A comment in which he was quoted as
                                saying, ''I'm not going to give you any
                                names, but there is only one player on
                                this team that I don't enjoy coaching.''
                                He was also quoted as saying that he
                                didn't like players who are not
                                ''passionate'' about basketball and
                                players who are ''cowards.'' Yesterday,
                                Pitino said that the quote was a
                                ''misunderstanding'' and that his
                                intention was to say that, ''If there were
                                a player on this team I didn't like, I
                                wouldn't tell you because that information
                                stays in the locker room.''

                                On Friday, the coach commented that he has
                                been in enough losing situations to know
                                how certain players react under pressure.
                                It was mentioned that some players might
                                be tuning him out because of his coaching
                                methods. He said, ''I know what happens in
                                these situations. When you have a coach
                                who is a disciplinarian, players say they
                                need more of a players' coach. When you
                                have a coach who is a ''players' coach,''
                                players say they need a disciplinarian.''

                                Confidence isn't shot

                                Antoine Walker began the game shooting a
                                recently familiar 1 for 7 from the field.
                                He finished 9 for 23, but said there
                                wasn't a point when he was losing
                                confidence. ''Oh no,'' he said, ''it's not
                                going to come back all at once.' ... When
                                Allen Iverson and Eric Snow were
                                scratched, it ended the Sixers' two
                                longest consecutive-games-played streaks.
                                Iverson was at 87 games and Snow was at
                                73. Also, the Sixers had been one of three
                                teams in the league (Indiana and
                                Sacramento were the others) to have the
                                same starting lineup all season ... If
                                Philadelphia practices today, rookie Larry
                                Hughes will certainly be working on his
                                free throws. The guard missed his first
                                six and then made six of his last seven.
                                The Sixers missed a startling 14 free
                                throws ... Dwayne Schintzius played one
                                minute, long enough for old buddy Rick
                                Mahorn to talk trash to him and for Pitino
                                to crack that the 7-foot-2-inch center
                                gave the team, ''a hell of a minute.''
                                Schintzius managed an offensive rebound
                                and a foul while on the court ... Paul
                                Pierce was 2 for 11, but was solid on the
                                boards with seven (three offensive) ... It
                                was mentioned to Sixers president Pat
                                Croce that Iverson, leading the league in
                                scoring, has emerged as one of the top
                                four players in the league. ''It's good to
                                hear someone else say that, because we've
                                felt that way for a while,'' he said ...
                                The last time current Final Four
                                participant Ohio State advanced past the
                                Sweet 16 was 1992. Their coach that year,
                                Randy Ayers, is now a Sixers assistant.

                                Will McDonough of the Globe Staff
                                contributed to this report.

                                This story ran on page G05 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/27/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.