No Subject

--------------1DAF3528AF8

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                The Celtics' dysfunctional relationships

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 03/26/99

                                Rick Pitino is from Mars. Some of
                                his employees are from Venus. He
                                sees a light rain; some of them see a
                                monsoon. He says he has a suggestion; they
                                feel it is an ultimatum. He says he has
                                not screamed much this season; they hear
                                that and say, ''Say what?''

                                If this reminds you of the daily tug you
                                may have with the one you love, perfect.
                                Because, hey, sometimes you have to be a
                                Hoops Head to understand the subtleties of
                                pro basketball. That's not the case now.
                                If you know about relationships gone bad,
                                you can understand the 8-17 Celtics. If
                                you realize that some people have
                                different interpretations of what respect
                                is, you can begin to understand why this
                                team has a battered spirit and scrambled
                                psyche.

                                Pitino and his staff made one of the
                                smartest decisions of the season
                                yesterday. They decided to talk, away from
                                the basketball court. So at about 9 a.m.,
                                they opted to cancel practice and instead
                                have a candid luncheon at an undisclosed
                                site. Well, kind of. My favorite
                                homeboy/spy reports that they trekked to
                                Main Street in Waltham. Once there, they
                                could have discussed several things that
                                have contributed to their lack of trust of
                                each other.

                                Let's start with the Paul Pierce story.
                                Some fans have mentioned that the rookie
                                forward from Kansas hasn't been the same
                                player since he missed two free throws
                                that could have won the game against the
                                Nets on March 1. That was the same night
                                that something happened in the locker room
                                afterward. What was it? Depends on whom
                                you ask.

                                According to three people, a furious
                                Pitino went into the locker room and told
                                Pierce that he was the reason the Celtics
                                lost the game. Apparently, being singled
                                out by the coach was too much for the
                                rookie, especially immediately after the
                                Celtics lost an emotional game by 2 points
                                at the buzzer. Pierce began to cry. A
                                veteran, supposedly Dana Barros, pulled
                                Pierce aside and told him that things
                                would be OK.

                                Pitino says that never happened.

                                ''It's totally false,'' he said yesterday.
                                ''There's no truth to it at all. I never
                                told Paul that he was the reason we lost
                                the game. He was more broken up over
                                missing the free throws than over anything
                                I said to him. I've treated Paul with kid
                                gloves most of the year.''

                                The next night in Cleveland, Pierce went
                                scoreless and the Celtics began what is
                                now one of the worst road losing streaks
                                in team history. You can give it a fancy
                                name if you want, but this is what
                                happened shortly after that night in
                                Cleveland: The Celtics quit listening to
                                Pitino. Why did they do it? Well, once
                                again, it depends on whom you ask.

                                ''Everyone is asking me if the team has
                                quit on me,'' Pitino said. ''I think
                                anytime you have an interim coach or a
                                coach in the last year of his contract,
                                that is the case.''

                                Pitino is not in the last year of his
                                deal. Nor is he in the next-to-last year.
                                He has juice: eight years and $34 million
                                remaining after this season. He is
                                virtually unfireable. But there are
                                players who are tired of his methods.

                                They think he curses too much, screams too
                                much, and tries to control too many
                                things. They say he gave them a curfew and
                                bed check in Washington. No other pro team
                                has to deal with that. They say he
                                nit-picks over the most irrelevant things,
                                such as knowing exactly how they are
                                distributing the three tickets they are
                                alloted for each game at the FleetCenter.
                                Forget about basketball, they say, this
                                man doesn't respect them as men.

                                Pitino says none of this is true. He also
                                wants to know who these people are, but
                                I've always been a brother who could keep
                                a secret.

                                ''If anybody has a problem with me, they
                                should come say it to my face,'' the coach
                                said. ''They shouldn't be the Cowardly
                                Lion. There are two things I hate: cowards
                                and liars.'' He also said, ''If you're
                                looking for a country club, I'm not the
                                guy you want to play for. We're going to
                                work here.''

                                The more I watch the Celtics, the more I
                                am convinced that this team will be broken
                                up at the end of the season. The Y2K Big
                                Three of Antoine Walker, Paul Pierce, and
                                Ron Mercer will not lead this team into
                                the 21st century. They may not even make
                                it to September 1999. One member of the
                                organization is terrified that Mercer will
                                not sign an extension this summer and bolt
                                the Celtics.

                                Pitino wouldn't agree that his young team
                                will be dismantled in the summer, but he
                                did say, ''I'm not going to give you any
                                names, but there's only one guy on this
                                team I don't enjoy coaching.''

                                He is asked to elaborate.

                                ''I don't like people who are not
                                passionate about the game of basketball,''
                                he said. ''And I don't like cowards.''

                                The people who have been booing Walker the
                                past few weeks should translate those
                                words this way: The coach is not talking
                                about Walker. These guys aren't best
                                friends, but they share the same distaste
                                for losses; Walker can handle Pitino's
                                curses; and the coach and player have
                                never had any problem saying how they felt
                                face to face. In fact, many players were
                                stunned last summer when Walker went on
                                the record and said he didn't know if he
                                could continue to play for a nonsupportive
                                Pitino. Players may have thought that, but
                                Walker was the first one to say it
                                publicly.

                                Now, it wouldn't be fair to speculate
                                which player Pitino doesn't like to coach.
                                I do know which players don't like Pitino.
                                But that shouldn't be the concern of
                                Celtics fans.

                                Fans should wonder why no Celtic knocked a
                                Cavalier on his butt after all the layups
                                Tuesday night in Cleveland. Teams with
                                heart treat the area close to the basket
                                as if it were sacred ground. Fans should
                                wonder if Pitino can maintain his patience
                                and not make a bad trade (Eric Williams,
                                Chauncey Billups) when he becomes anxious.

                                As for coach-player communications? Fans
                                should hope for a counselor.

                                ''A player can have his opinion about
                                me,'' Pitino said, ''but how I coach is
                                the way it's going to be. It's my way.
                                It's my philosophy. It's my gospel. When
                                teams are winning, everything is fine.
                                When they're not, you hear the nonsense.''

                                This story ran on page D01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/26/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

--------------1DAF3528AF8--