Dan Shaughnessy: Young Celtics Quit On Their Coach

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Crowd at FleetCenter nearly as ugly as
                                game

                                By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Staff, Globe
                                Columnist, 03/25/99

                                It's all about degrees of bad when
                                you watch the Celtics now. It's
                                like the Jerry Springer show and Kevin
                                Costner movies: How low can they go?

                                We thought the game at Charlotte was the
                                nadir. Then the overtime loss to the Bulls
                                last Sunday. Then Tuesday night in
                                Cleveland. Now this - a 87-68 home loss to
                                the Minnesota Timberwolves on the same
                                night the beleaguered Celtics had been
                                ''challenged'' by their beleaguered coach.

                                How bad did it get last night? Antoine
                                Walker shot 1 for 14 and fans behind the
                                bench were begging for the return of M.L.
                                Carr.

                                Yikes.

                                ''I don't mind the booing,'' said Walker.
                                ''But on every shot? Is that gonna make
                                things better? ... I don't know what's
                                with the crowd. I don't think that's
                                right. We need all the support we can
                                get.''

                                It was not ugly at the beginning of the
                                evening. There were no signs imploring
                                Paul Gaston to ''bring back M.L.'' (the
                                roundball equivalent of bringing back Lou
                                Gorman). There were no Rick Pitino dolls
                                hanging in effigy from the upper deck. The
                                Celtics didn't get the Don Zimmer/Ulf
                                Samuelsson treatment when they came out
                                for pregame warmups.

                                But there was negativity in the building.
                                Negativity all over town.

                                ''I've been given great treatment in this
                                town by the press and by the fans,''
                                Pitino said before the game. ''Now, the
                                way we have played, I deserve to take a
                                lot of heat for the way the team is
                                playing.''

                                Pitino has obviously decided that the best
                                defense is a good offense. This is an old
                                Dennis Johnson trick. Members of the media
                                never ripped DJ because he was always
                                tough on himself. Same with Bill Walton.
                                Big Red would say, ''Tonight I was a
                                disgrace to the game of basketball,'' and
                                it was difficult to top that with any
                                poison pen.

                                And now Pitino's self- flagellation helps
                                mask the crises of confidence in the
                                Celtics' executive suites. Thanksdad
                                Gaston has to be wondering if he made a
                                wise move when he turned over complete
                                control and $50 million to a man who we
                                know is a terrific college coach, a snappy
                                dresser, and a top-shelf motivational
                                speaker.

                                ''We've had poor performance from a team
                                that should be well-coached,'' Pitino
                                admitted. ''I have to look in the mirror
                                and say, `Maybe this is not a well-coached
                                team.' I don't think I'm doing a very good
                                job right now.''

                                Some Celtic fans have been much tougher.
                                Pitino was thoroughly slaughtered on
                                sports talk radio yesterday and the word
                                ''fraud'' was tossed around where fans
                                once cited ''genius.''

                                Pitino has an expression for the
                                bloodthirsty shut-ins, guests, and hosts
                                of WEEI, calling them ''the fellowship of
                                the miserable.'' Asked if he heard himself
                                torched on sports talk radio the coach
                                shook his head and said, ''That's one
                                thing I will not stoop to - my UMass
                                education will not allow me to stoop to
                                that level.''

                                Hmmmm. He'd better not listen today.

                                Pitino threatened wholesale changes after
                                Tuesday's abysmal showing in Cleveland,
                                but sent out the same starting five
                                against the Timberwolves. This did not go
                                unnoticed by the discerning fandom.

                                ''Hey, Ricky, wasn't somebody supposed to
                                sit?'' bellowed one fan in the opening
                                minutes.

                                ''There's no one individual I can put my
                                finger on,'' Pitino said before the game.
                                ''But after tonight, I will. If we grade
                                out, based on hustle, and I see things I
                                don't like, then those people are not
                                going to play a lot of minutes in
                                Philadelphia [tomorrow night].''

                                The first big boos of the night were saved
                                for Walker when he took a quick and errant
                                3-pointer while the Celtics were trailing
                                by 4 late in the first quarter. Walker
                                came out at the next whistle to mock
                                applause.

                                After shooting 29 percent (12 of 42), the
                                Celtics came off the floor at halftime and
                                a fan screamed, ''Rick, I feel sorry for
                                you.''

                                Walker, a listless 1 for 7 in the first
                                half, did not warm up before the third
                                period. He just sat on the bench. He no
                                doubt wanted to conserve some energy to
                                guard the sensational Kevin Garnett.

                                Garnett was a highlight film in the third
                                period, repeatedly dunking over Walker,
                                who still could not make a shot.

                                It was nasty. There were ghosts of Celtics
                                past all over the building: Bob Cousy and
                                Robert Parish (in the stands), Kevin
                                McHale (Minnesota general manager), Jerry
                                Sichting (Timberwolves assistant coach),
                                Cedric Maxwell and Tommy Heinsohn
                                (broadcast row), Jo Jo White, and M.L.
                                Carr. It must pain them to see this
                                happening.

                                When it got to 61-47, another wise guy
                                walked past the Celtic bench and said,
                                ''Hey, Rick, if this was a horse you'd put
                                it down.''

                                The beginning of the fourth was
                                disastrous. Walker could not get out of
                                his own way, but kept trying (and missing)
                                treys. Down 71-50 with 9:58 left, Pitino
                                called time and you would have thought Dan
                                Duquette was being introduced.

                                Pitino kept his starters on the floor. It
                                was as if he wanted to punish them by
                                playing them. Walker did not come out
                                until there was 2:09 left on the clock.

                                After the beating, Pitino seemed
                                tranquilized. There was none of the fire
                                and anger he displayed in Cleveland a
                                night earlier.

                                ''I didn't think it could get worse, but
                                it did,'' he acknowleged. ''But their
                                self-estemm has got to be as low as
                                possible and I'm not going to add to
                                that.''

                                He didn't point fingers. He didn't
                                threaten to bench or trade anyone. And he
                                said he didn't think his team had tuned
                                him out.

                                But this was bad. A 10th loss in 11 games.
                                A season-worst 68 points. A new low.

                                But the stats weren't the worst thing. The
                                young Celtics quit on their famous coach
                                last night. That was the worst of it.

                                Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist.

                                This story ran on page C01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/25/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.