Defending Ron Mercer

While it may still be true that Ron Mercer is the least well-rounded
among our three best players, he has in fact improved dramatically as an
assist man this month (statisically speaking). His rebounding and assist
numbers are now pretty typical for a 2 guard (3.7 and 2.7 in 35 mpg),
even if it's not near the level of verge-of-being All Stars like Ray
Allen. Moreover, even if Mercer isn't a "multiple-skills" player, that
doesn't mean he isn't good enough at the one thing he does well to be
worth keeping (like a George Gervin or Reggie Lewis).  Right now, Mercer
holds the greatest potential to be our team's most efficient and deadly
scorer.

Personally, I'd hate to see any of our big three leave just yet (am I
just being stupid?) and I thought/hoped we had successfully dodged that
bullet when the big guy (Vitaly) joined the club.

Nothing makes sense anymore. We hit rock bottom almost a month ago, yet
we still kept on digging. The Timber-poodles have every reason to feel
confident they can come into our town and kick our butts.

Joe

****