Why are defense is so poor

I have a new theory as to why we are so poor defensively. This used get blamed
on the lack of center for shotblocking. All the layups by DeClerq, highlighted
the problem for me. Apparently in Pitino defensive theory, you must overplay
and trap. Tommy and Cous had an enlightening discussion tonight on how the
trap and physical conditionings situations haven't helped us this year.
However, I want to talk about the problems with the half-court man to man
defense. It seems we still double players needlessly. Perhaps this is a
carryover from the full-court trap mentality. If the trapped player finds the
open man which he seems to be able to do in the pros, we pay the price.
However, the biggest problem for me is the fact that we overplay the man with
the ball out top. I saw Pierce's man burst right by him three times tonight.
We thought Pierce was such a good defensive player. I think he still is. I
recorded the game and played back a driveby. Pierce was way overplaying him.
The man drives by and then VP or someone has to leave his man to pick him up.
Again we are reduced to the scramble defense. All it takes is a foot or so. On
other teams, you don't overplay unless the guy is really burning you from
outside. We are always giving up the easy, wide open jumpers because we are
always scrambling...

What do you guys think?

DJessen33