perspective

Sorry, I don't think anybody is going to be traded.  You can't really
get value for Kenny Anderson.  Ron could be moved because he's very
attractive and Pierce can play that spot, but I think this is Pitino
venting/threatening.  The thing is, we have the talent we need.  Other
than a great defensive point guard, I can't see what we lack at any
position.  I'm interested in watching the Cleveland game tonight.   I
really think this will be some kind of statement game.

---j.hironaka@unesco.org wrote:

> Nice argument, IMO.   I'm just wondering if anyone out there can
confirm
> whether Walker looked 38 pounds over his normal playing weight anytime
> during the training camp (in the first public scrimmages, or when he
signed
> his contract extension, for example), before we all start treating a
Dan
> Shaughnessy inuendo as fact.
>
> Maybe he was 38 pounds over his college playing weight (224 pounds)?
I do
> know that Pitino asked him to try to bulk up to 240+ pounds during the
> offseason. He's presently listed at 245 pounds. My guess is that he
was
> probably overweight, but that the number in today's paper was
over-inflated
> for effect. Any thoughts? When I was 22, I couldn't gain 40 pounds
in that
> time period (6 months) if you paid me a million bucks.
>
> But I do agree with the assertion that Walker is at some sort of a
> "crossroads". Basically, he's having a lousy season. Last year, he IMO
> deservedly beat out guys like Webber, Shareef, Keith Van Horn, Rod
> Strickland and many others to win an All Star berth. After all, he was
> averaging close to 11 rebounds per game, and his team was playing well
> coming into the All Star break. He finished second in the league in
double
> doubles ahead of Shaq, Alonzo, Barkley, Kemp, Baker, Ewing, Rodman
and other
> big name players.
>
> Right now, Walker is no longer a candidate for any near future All
Star
> games. He'll get to future All Star games not by scoring more but
rather by
> scoring less (i.e. playing within himself) while rebounding and
passing
> more. I think he's at least a couple of years away from being a
worthy All
> Star candidate again.
>
> Judging by Pitino's quote today, it's going to be either Pierce or
Walker
> who could get traded in July, since RP lists Mercer as his hardest
worker.
> If someone has to take the fall for Tim "Pinkie" Floyd outcoaching
Rick
> Pitino on our own parquet, it's certainly not going to be Il Duce
himself.

> *****
>
> Jim Hill wrote:
>
> > I think the Globe was right on.  As is Pitino.  And this is not to
bash
> > Walker as I do think he can be a great player IF he listens to
Pitino.
> > Walker came in 38 lbs. overweight?  This is the "gym rat" who had
> > convinced Pitino that he was in shape and working on his game
during the
> > lock out.  BULLS**T !!  His homeboys speak of him whining and
talking
> > the talk out in Chicago during the lockout about how good he is
etc...
> > Just like in camp when he was pissing off his teammates by calling
> > phantom fouls during scrimmages.
> >
> > Harper gave him the "choke sign" because that is what Walker did.
Plain
> > and simple.  The whole game. Most of the season in fact.  You
think the
> > other players in the NBA don't know it?
> >
> > There is more than 20 players in history that "should have been"
great
> > in the NBA that never made it.  It was never the lack of skills.
Or the
> > lack of talk.  It was the lack of brains.  And it was the lack of
> > effort.
> >
> > I think that Walker is at a crossroads in his short career.
> >
> > Pitino made him an All-Star last year.  (Walker may have been on the
> > court, but be realistic)  Pitino makes him a Captain.  You think
Walker
> > would be a Captain on any other team?  Walker states that as a
"veteran
> > All-Star" and even though he is the team Captain, he doesn't need to
> > attend voluntary practices and never will!!.  Walker states that He
> > wasn't called by Pitino "Personally to attend the practices".   Grow
> > up.  If I had a 23 year old son who said this garbage I would tell
him
> > he's not a child anymore. So stop acting like it.
> >
> > I can buy into the fact that the TEAM is young and they lose against
> > veteran teams.  But these guys are not that young as people.
These guys
> > know what their supposed to do as far as practice and
conditioning.  How
> > many 23 year olds are in the workplace?  Do they work at their
job?  The
> > ones who succeed do.  The ones who don't fail.  Until they wake up
> > anyway.
> >
> > Pitino received assurances that Walker was in playing shape during
the
> > lockout.  Walker comes in 38 lbs. overweight and obviously out of
> > shape.  Pitino gives Walker the max. contract as a commitment from
the
> > Celtics.  Walker can't play with the big dogs in the power forward
spot
> > because he is not in condition.  This is the pay back?  This is how
> > Walker shows his thanks to Pitino?  Come on.
> >
> > I think that Pitino deserves better from Walker.  The Celt's deserve
> > better.  Walker deserves better.  His teammates deserve better.  The
> > fans deserve better.
> >
> > I am waiting to hear that Walker went to Pitino and asked for his
help
> > in becoming an "All-Star" again.  That he has made a commitment to
> > Pitino and his teammates to play and act like he wants to become one
> > again.  And then does it.  If Webber can do it, then Walker can.  If
> > anyone suggested to get Webber for the Celtics last year, list
members
> > would have laughed.  What about this year?
> >
> > Until he goes to Pitino and asks for his help, Pitino should, IMHO,
> > seriously consider finding someone who will.
> >
> > I think Walker is self-destructing in front of our eyes.  I stated
in my
> > post after the Bull's game that I give Walker credit for wanting the
> > ball at the end of the game.  Even though he did choke when he got
on
> > the free throw line, he showed leadership by getting free to get the
> > ball after the boo's.  Leadership is important to be a star.
Leadership