Re: Harper comments

DJessen33@aol.com wrote:

> I find it interesting that another opposing player cites Walker for not
> knowing how to play with his teammates. And what is his response? Instead of
> taking it as constructive criticism, he takes it as a cheap shot. The same
> "everyone is against me" "Walker against the World" attitude...
>
> DJessen33

Oh puhlease. If an office rival gave you a choke sign in front of literally
everyone you knew in Boston and Chicago, confident he can rub it in because
you've just had your most embarrassing day at work in two years, I wouldn't be
as bewildered as you if you failed to grasp the "constructive" nature of the
criticism. :-)

Remember that Walker over the weekend candidly accepted the blame for the team's
losses, and was specific about his shortcomings (freethrows, not stepping up in
the fourth etc.) Meanwhile, Paul Pierce ran straight to the press to blame the
coach for his stat-damaging 2-point outing.

IMO, Walker has a tragicomic knack for having all his actions taken the wrong
way by Boston fans (someone should right a comedy about it). I'd wish Jessen
would judge this 23-year-old's sincerity through his words and deeds off the
court, instead of so impressionistically. For example the "Walker against the
world..everyone is against me" thing sounded a lot more to me like a "Celtics
against the world" statement. In truth, Walker has talked and acted like a
captain at all times during this season. And off the court he's been the polar
opposite of a Ben Coates or Mo Vaughn, working for free with kids and trying to
be a good son and a good father. What a jerk though! There's just something
about him, I can't quite put my finger on it...  :-)

I'm no longer sure anymore how quickly he'll develop, but I'd be shocked if he
wasn't an MVP at the age of 30, not because he's a Mailman-level rebounder who
can also pass and shoot outside, but more that he has a weird kind of fire
inside him that other, more athletic and media-friendly young superstars don't
have. If he's not playing basketball on the court, he's playing basketball on
the video screen. It's his whole life. The Celts have drafted and are now
nurturing an irritatingly and maniacally hypercompetitive kid, like a young
"selfish" Ted Williams. I'm not in favor of trading him. I'd rather trade the
coach before this inevitably happens. In this morning's papers RP sounds like he
utterly fails to comprehend the picture (blaming a lack of conditioning etc.)
and, worse still, expects to continue losing this season.

Joe H.

****