Ron Harper Disses Antoine

"He's got to learn to play with the guys he has out there."
              Ron Harper on Antoine Walker

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                ON BASKETBALL
                                Bull's-eye on Walker

                                Celtic hear it from fans, and Harper

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 03/22/99

                                His last shot was supposed to miss.
                                But like almost everything else
                                Antoine Walker threw up yesterday, the
                                ball didn't go where it was supposed to
                                go.

                                Rick Pitino called for his captain to miss
                                a free throw and then go for the rebound
                                and maybe a final, tying 3-pointer. (Given
                                the way Walker shoots freebies, Pitino
                                probably should have told him not to
                                change a thing.) Walker complied, to a
                                fault. He missed the free throw, but in so
                                doing he also missed the rim. There was no
                                rebound. There was no chance for a miracle
                                basket to extend the game to another
                                overtime. It was, unfortunately for
                                Walker, a fitting end to an eminently
                                forgettable afternoon.

                                The closing seconds of the 95-92 loss
                                ticked away, but Walker's misery did not
                                come to an end. As he left the floor, he
                                heard boos, a lot of them. As Pitino said,
                                ''I think there's a lot of negativity in
                                the air.''

                                And then he looked up to see summertime
                                playmate Ron Harper giving him the choke
                                sign.

                                Before the game, Harper talked about how
                                the young players coming into the league
                                care more about stats and ''SportsCenter''
                                than winning. After the game, he was asked
                                about the choke sign.

                                ''He's from Chicago, and we play a lot out
                                there in the summer,'' Harper said of
                                Walker. ''He's always telling us in these
                                games how good he is, how he's going to
                                beat us and stuff like that. Well, he just
                                got a little bit of that stuff that he's
                                always talking about.

                                ''He knows the truth. All his boys got to
                                see the game. They saw what happened. He's
                                got to learn to play with the guys he has
                                out there. If he does, they have a chance
                                to be a very good team in a few years.''

                                Walker said he wasn't sure why Harper
                                singled him out.

                                ''I'm going to find out,'' he said. ''I've
                                never had any problem with him. He lives
                                in Chicago. I don't think it was
                                good-natured. We'll see next time. We play
                                them two more times.''

                                You might have to go back a while, maybe
                                to pre-school, to find a game in which
                                Walker had more trouble putting the ball
                                in the basket. He was 2 of 15 from the
                                field, 1 of 4 from the line, and his 6
                                points is his third lowest output as a
                                professional, lowest in two years.

                                He was 0 for 11 in the first half and made
                                his first basket with 3:46 left in the
                                third, a 3-pointer. His other hoop came on
                                a shot-put from the lane with 4:14 to
                                play. Walker's day was so brutal it almost
                                made you wish to see more of Derek
                                Skawanski, the fan from Brighton who came
                                close to winning a Ford Explorer with an
                                underhand shot from halfcourt.

                                No one has to tell Walker that he's not
                                performing up to par. He knows it. He's
                                zeroing in on being a 40/40 guy, shooting
                                40 percent from the field and from the
                                line. That just doesn't happen in the NBA.
                                Yesterday, in additon to his woeful
                                shooting, he had 10 rebounds, 0 assists, 3
                                steals, and 5 turnovers.

                                For the season, he's shooting 41.9 percent
                                from the field and 47.1 percent from the
                                line. He has 63 turnovers in 23 games. His
                                scoring is down from last year. His
                                rebounds are down from last year. His
                                assists are down from last year. By Year
                                3, we're supposed to see progress, not
                                regression. His whole game is down from
                                last year. His team is down from last year
                                as well, now standing at the unseemly mark
                                of 8-15. The Celtics have not beaten a
                                decent team in almost a month.

                                ''I'm not producing well enough, under my
                                standards,'' Walker said. ''I take a lot
                                of pride in my game and I want to
                                produce.''

                                And, yes, he heard the boos. How could he
                                have not? On this day, they were deserved.

                                ''I don't mind. It don't bother me at
                                all,'' Walker said. ''If you want to boo
                                me, go right ahead. I'm bigger than that.
                                My family is my team. As long as they have
                                confidence in me, and as long as they're
                                not booing me and down on me, I'm going to
                                continue to roll.''

                                He went on, ''It was a bad shooting night.
                                I'm not making excuses. I shot the ball
                                bad. There are 27 games to go. I might
                                have two or three more bad shooting
                                nights. It comes with the territory. [But]
                                to boo your home team, especially someone
                                like us who's trying to fight and earn
                                respect, we need our fans. We need them
                                badly. To boo us, that's bad for us. We
                                don't need that. We need support.''

                                Walker is an inviting and obvious target.
                                Much has been expected of him since he
                                arrived here and his employer has rewarded
                                him for what he may become one day. He's
                                the captain. He's the go-to guy. He's the
                                possessor of the $71 million contract.

                                Good or bad, fair or unfair, Walker
                                embodies what the Celtics are today:
                                Young, temperamental, inconsistent,
                                promising, maddening. That's not going to
                                change anytime soon.

                                This story ran on page D01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 03/22/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.