Re: Pitino the Enabler

At the risk of turning into some mutual admiration society, I think Joe
hits the nail on the head.  Pitino wanted to teach defense first, which
is great because defense wins in the NBA, but we were supposed to be
getting offense this year.  If you ask me, the defense works a whole lot
better when the offense is scoring points.  They feed off each other.  I
can't help thinking that the team has had enough learning on the
defensive side of the ball and should just concentrate on running a
credible offense.  I'm not saying they should forget all the defensive
stuff Pitino has established, just that it will work a lot better when
they are scoring themselves.

Jim

>From: Joe Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>

Some bright guy on this list could probably convincingly argue that
there are a dozen or more experienced NBA coaches (plus the retired Phil
Jackson) who could coach our present talent level into the playoffs,
merely by suggesting rudimentary improvements in how we run our offense
(Larry Bird, Chuck Daly, George Karl come to mind). As some of you have
said, the Celtics could and maybe should be leading the league in
scoring this season.