Re: Calipari & Pitino

In a message dated 3/18/99 8:07:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dforant1@nycap.rr.com writes:

<< Calipari's a class act. Too bad coaches have to pay for the inefficiencies
 of their players. How long will Chris Ford keep his job? >>

Calipari did a lot for the NJ franchise - put them on the map. He brought in
good talent and did a lot of public relations work to make people realize
there was a legit NBA team in the Knicks' shadow. He never did learn to back
off a little tho and the spoiled players in the NBA today know how to deal
with a screamer - they quit on him until he gets fired. Rick seems to be under
a lot more control these days - at least in the games I've seen on TV. He
probably realizes the same would happen to him. I doubt Calipari's going to be
anyone's assistant. He can be very valuable to a team that is not flourishing
in it's market. I could only see Rick bringing him in here if he was ready to
move upstairs - something he said he's put off for many years after going
through "lockout withdrawl".

Speaking of Nets, I think Kittles' new contract pretty much establishes the
market for Mercer. Kerry didn't get the all too familiar $70.9 million.
Instead he got 52. Unless Ron makes awesome strides this season (and his
shooting slump isn't going to help) I doubt he will top that number. Poor Ron
- maybe he can get food stamps! <vbg>

George