Re: Never Happen

Jimbo, I have to agree with you point by point on this one. I guess you
could say that Bird looked quick relative to his teammates, while Toine
looks slow relative to his. But the 1986 starting five didn't have anyone
who could even dunk a cherry-picked layup.

Actually, I think Toine has a more explosive dribble rate than Ron Mercer.
It's like watching those speed bags that boxers use to train (except that
the bag doesn't bounce off anyone's foot). I know perfectly well that it can
lead to turnovers, but I just LOVE watching a big man dribble like that.
There is nothing like it, even in the NBA.

Ron Mercer has a higher and much softer dribble (like most of us), while
Toine really pounds the ball down into the wood.  It could just be a
question of confidence, but I'd like to see if Ron would improve his dribble
penetration if he marginally increased the power of his dribble (pushed down
a little harder basically). I think this fundamental skill is just as
important as learning how and when to execute a cross-over.

Joe

****