Re: NRe: Great Game

Welcome back, Joe.  I don't kinow if you read all the posts that piled
up while you were away, but it's been pretty inane on the list the last
week.  You know, the sort of stuff you'd expect with a five game losing
streak and a controversial trade.  Lots of "Walker sucks" posts and Dan
F grumbling about whether the Celts will or should try to win any more
games this year.  Earth to Dan, the Cavs are taking the pick this year.
Change the record.  All in all, it's good to have you back!

Now, I agreed with almost all of your excellent post, but that's no fun,
so let me disagree with a couple of points.

>Yes, I also hoped for a timeout from Pitino in the last 30 seconds of
>the Indiana game, not only to set a play but to calm everyone down

When Boston got the ball there, I was actually saying to myself, OK no
timeout here, take it right to them.  Why?  Because Boston doesn't have
any sure fire set plays, they get their best shots when they push the
ball up and don't let the defense get set.  And they did get a good shot
out of it.  They just didn't finish.

>Additionally, Antoine could have had an uncontested dunk or layup >off
that pass if only he applied his court sense. In a similar situation,
>both Bird and McHale would have thrown the head fake and sent >Davis
flying out of the picture.

You bring up McHale and Bird and it makes me think what the real problem
is, offensively, with Antoine and every member of the Cs.  They don't
have shots that they can go to when the team needs a basket.  Shots that
they are comfortable taking, that they know they can get off virtually
any time.  You know, McHale's jump hook, Bird's step back J.  It seems
like every move Antoine makes is an original creation.  It's no wonder
he doesn't hit many of them, he's never shot them before!  Bird and
McHale practiced each of those shots probably tens of thousands of
times.  I see Antoine taking a little hook shot lately and it gives me
great pleasure.  Has someone finally told him that he needs to posess a
shot that he can hit, that is tough to block?  I think so.  I want to
see more of it, from him and every other member of the team.

By the way, it sounds like you got to see this game live.  Were you
still in the US when it was  played?

Jim