Trades?

Thoughts on the possible C's trade for Vitaly and the Lakers trade for
Rice.

I like the Potapenko trade, though it seems clear it's not "the answer."

He is big and wide, a quality we lack in our centers now (since DS is on
the bench and useless anyway).  He lacks Duncan/Admiral/Shaq mobility,
but that's OK.

His career numbers are alright.  Given about 25 mpg now, he alone should
match what we are getting out of the platoon now over 48 mpg, and we'll
still get something our of Battie & Riley for those 20+ non Vitaly
minutes.

He appears fairly durable: 80 games first two years, all games this
year. He wasn't injured all the time at Wright State or anything either.

He's obviously an upgrade from DQ in every stat category (though, again,
he's not "the answer").

This season he's had some of his best games against "real" big men:
Spurs, Knicks, and Pacers (o.k. the Dutchman aint exactly a defensive
terror).

DQ for Vitaly is a big upgrade, so what about the draft pick?

I don't see why everyone is so high on the upcoming draft at this
position.  Yes its rich, and yes, I agree we have a serious problem at
point guard (IMO our most serious deficiency).

But as Rick points out again and again, one of our biggest problem is
youth and inexperience, what with our three best players in their first,
second and third years.

Does anyone think we are going to solve this problem by drafting a
rookie floor general?  You might as well plan on a championship when
your kids are grown.  What we need is someone with experience (like KA)
but who is a better passer, leader, and DEFENDER.  A whole teams of
youngsters would look good on paper maybe, but are they going to win
next year and the year after that in crunch time with all youth?   I
doubt it.  I prefer to try and upgrade the PG through trades, free
agency if possible.  (The only exception I would make to this claim is
Miller from UU: He is awesome).  We are bad, but not so bad we are lock
for high, high lottery pick, so we'd end up with a mid-level "project"
at PG from the draft anyway.

Now for the Fakers.  This is what annoys me.  They can sign Worm for
only $500,000, because he has the shoe co. clause to pay extra $2-3
million if in NY, LA or CHI.

THAT CONTRACT IS HELPING THE FAKERS GET AROUND THE CAP, because it makes
the low salary easier for D to stomach.  That really hacks me off!  It
like nasty George buying the Series for goodness sake!

So now they have: Best center in game, most prolific SG in game, best
post defender and rebounder in game, and a possible candidate for best
SF in game in the next couple of years.  Oh, the injustice of it all!

But, I think, I hope, Portland will be able to take them out.  2
reasons: Stoudamaire (?) will make mincemeat of Fisher, and Sabonis'
credible 3pt shooting brings Shaq out of paint on D, leaving Rodman
alone (essentially) to contend with both Sheed and Grant, or a slashing
Rider and JJ.  Plus Rider + JJ should match, if not surpass, offense of
Rice.  I hope!

See ya'

Viking