All or nothing

Here's an observation that I'd like to hear some opinions on.  I'm not
saying it's the reason the Celtics have been playing so poorly lately,
they just haven't been coming to play in too many games.  But I do think
it has been a problem for them.

My observation is that they're trying to be an up tempo team
offensively.  That's great, I love to watch it and they have the horses
to run.  The problem is that you can't fast break on every play, which
is what they're trying to do.  And when the break does get shut off,
they seem to want to execute the half court set at fast break speed.
It's like they don't know how to slow down long enough to set up a play.
When they have been able to do it, they looked beter than last year.
Antoine, Ron, Paul and Battie can all get good shots.  Kenny can break
down the D if the clock winds down and makes good passes when someone
bothers to get open.  Even Andrew has worked on getting himself some
moves.

It's no great revelation that they are taking quick shots on offense,
Cous and Tommy talk about it all night long.  I'm just speculating that
the reason may be that they are drilled to push, push, push all the
time, and that it must be hard to put that into idle for a few seconds
if the defense has beaten you back.  If you've ever watched the Pitino
show and seen some of the drills, it's all faster, harder, push, push,
push.

In transition, it is important to find the shot before the defense
catches up.  Once they are back, however, patience is required to create
the good shot.  How long will it take this team to learn how to do both?

Jim