Chuck Person is a moron

> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:57:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: Mister Ghost <mister_ghost@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Some More Excellent Dissing Of Walker By Person
>
> From the Providence Journal via the AP:
>
> "Charlotte's Chuck Person wasn't the least bit impressed
> with Walker's game, which included repeatedly barking instructions
> to his teammates in between his 24 shots.
>
> "'That was a bad 32,' Person said.  'I don't think he got them
> within the confines of what they do.  He was working plays, going
> one-on-one, screaming at his players.  That's not good basketball.'"

I had the dubious honor of attending the C's/Hornets game in person.  There's $30 I'll
never get back.  However, the one highlight for the C's was Walker.  Person has very little
understanding of what exactly the C's have talent wise, and what the situation in this
particular game was.  When Piece went out with his injury, the C's lost 20 points and 8
rebounds and they had to make up for it some place.  Now, for some reason Mercer got very
little PT in the second half.  Maybe he was hurt, or maybe Pitino wanted Barros' three
point shot in the game more, I don't know.  So, with Mercer on the bench and Pierce
injured, Antoine did a very nice job of picking up the slack the best he could given his
team got down by 15 in the third quater.  In addition, Antoine did not force many shots.  I
can think of one long range bomb he put up that may have been ill advised, but Antione does
that in nearly every game.  The man still shot 13 for 24.  The real reason Person was
trying to diss Walker is because many of those 32 points were a result of Person's complete
inability to defend anyone in the NBA, never mind a player of Walker's caliber.  In
addition, in the last couple of minutes of the game, Walker was fouled by Person and when
Walker got to the line Person said something to Walker.  Walker walked over and got in his
face.  The both got technicals, but when your team is up 15 points and clearly on their way
to a win, why do you say anything to the one man on the opposing team who had a good game?
Person is a bonehead, always has been, and always will.  Person should talk.  A couple of
his fade away 3 point attempts clearly were not part of the Hornet offesive sets.

Other comments observations of the game.
(1)  Walker cannot defend in the low post.  J.R. Reid had 26 points.  JR Reid for gosh
sakes!!  Reid sucks, but Walker's low post D sucks more.  The C's had to double team Reid.
Double team JR Reid!!  Are you kidding me.
(2)  Anderson is useless against even an average point guard in this league.  While Wesley
did not have a great game, it seemed to me that he was going by Anderson almost at will.
(3)  The C's got robbed of at least 1 ten second violation against the Hornets and there
was a second one that was very close.  At one point in the second half, the shot clock
clearly said 13 seconds when a Hornet player was in the middle of coming to a jump stop
just over the timeline.  Pitino was clearly annoyed at this non-call.
(4)  The book is out on Pierce.  I understand he got injured early, but teams have already
seen enough film of this kid to understand how to slow him down effectively.  Pierce needs
to learn how to use the screens and picks a bit more effectively to get open.  Also, the
rookie is not getting any love from the refs and I think it is frustrating him.  Early in
the game, Pierce went baseline and got absolutely mugged but there was no call.  Pierce had
a very nasty look for the ref.
(5)  We all know this, but after seeing it in person, I am absolutely shocked at our second
team's complete lack of offensive talent in the half court set.  Dana dribbles the ball too
much, the rest of the team just stands around, and the offense usually degrades into
McCarty throwing up some ugly 17 foot jump shot.  A team can only be as good as their
second unit allows them to be, and right now the C's a very, very bad team based on that
criteria.  I think the C's need to consider bringin Pierce off the bench, provided he can
handle that mentally.  Pierce would get the chance to go up against a second team defender
and get back some confidence, and the second team would acquire some desperately needed
offense.

Desperate times (back to back loses against Toronto and Charlotte) demand some type of
shake up.  Not a trade, but a shake up.

Todd