Re: Talented but painfully young

Maybe some people saw a different game than I watched last night.  I saw
the Nets at playoff intensity throughout the game, playing their hearts
out in desperation for a win and still barely beating the still jelling
Celtics.  My observations:

1)	Anyone who blames Antoine for the loss is not paying attention.
He's playing very well, drawing the double teams that are freeing the
rest of the team. had 21 points, 8 boards, 6 assists, I think he carried
his load.  And he sunk his two late free throws (it's about time).

2)	Why didn't Pitino use the press more?  Because it wasn't
working.  New Jersey was routinely beating it.  Remember that Jersey
likes a similar game and has the players to play at that tempo.

3)	Everyone's darling Paul Pierce, who can do no wrong, missed a
few big shots in the fourth quarter and two crucial free throws.  He
still had a hell of a game, but if you absolutely must have a scapegoat
for this loss...

4)	It was nice to see the return of Ron Mercer's game.  The first
half showed him quite rusty, but he stroked a couple of nice jumpers and
made some beautiful moves to the hoop that made me remember that there
are three future perennial all-stars on this team, not two.

5)	Kenny Anderson has had a few great games in a row.  He is
hitting big shots and breaking down defenses.  He is amazing at
dribbling into traffic, drawing the defense and still being in control
of the ball without picking up the dribble.

6)	It was not a matter of the Nets wanting it more, it was a matter
of the Nets desperately needing this win.  The standings may show a 3-10
team, but they are a far better team than that.  All teams with a lead
go through a letdown at some point, but the Nets did not.  They played
hard for 48 minutes, with the lead, always playing as THOUGH they were
behind.  It is a credit to the Celtics that nothing came easy, that
every shot was contested and they still came within a lucky bounce of
being able to win this game.

7)	This team doesn't need much more tinkering other than what time
will provide.   The given is that they can press a team into panic many
nights, but the most encouraging sign is the appearance of a half court
offense AND defense.  When was the last time you could say that?  The
sight of Walker and Pierce playing the two man game, with Walker drawing
the double-team then kicking out to Pierce is very exciting.  With
Anderson breaking down the defense, Mercer coming off screens and
planted on the weak side for the open jumper, when they sort out all of
the possibilities, they are going to have the makings of a surgical
unit.  And the center rotation Declerq and Battie and occasionally Riley
have shown that they can work hard enough to have an impact.  They all
rotate well on defense and contest everything.  Keeping them fresh makes
them able to play at their highest level all the time, which may be
enough to overcome their shortcomings.  I'm really getting psyched.
They're at .500 after 12 games, with a tough road trip already out of
the way.  The team only gets better from here.

Dan