Talented but painfully young

That's from the Ricktator in his press conference, and that pretty much
sums it up.

Pitino was asked if this was a letdown, and he sternly denied it, saying
"Orlando sufferes letdowns because they're 10-3, we don't suffer letdowns."
 Sorry, but I beg to differ.  This is just like opening night.  Like the
Raptors, the Celtics took the 2-10 Nets lightly after winning Saturday at
NJ.  So they perhaps figure that they have an easy win at home tonight.
Instead, they play down to their level of competition and suffer a
surprising loss.  This loss goes to immaturity and complacency, nothing
more.

Pitino was very gracious tonight, to both the Nets and to his team.  The
youth of the team prevailed tonight over the talent.  Missed free throws
down the stretch, and early stretches of brick after brick did the team in.
 We have to be patient and let this stew simmer, just like Heinsohn told us
25 years ago in the Cowens era.  This is still a very young team, and
Pitino winced every time he said that.  Talented, yes, but still young and
growing.

OBTW why does the first unit not press?  Pitino mentioned that, and we see
it in the games.  Someone please enlighten me, I just don't know.

Bob George

Read Bob George's Best Of Boston Sports At
http://www.bobgeorge.com