Re: Mercer and the bunch

Chris and Anna Johnson wrote:

> Now, I love the idea of Mercer coming off bench, starting Bowen in his
> stead. Now, we have 2 off. threats in AW and PP on 1st team and Ron and
> Dana as off. threats on 2nd team. ANd, I remember Ron from UK, he is
> great on the press, really can get the ball and finish. Plus, Bowen
> would now be guarding the starting 2 guard which only makes sense to
> me...

I guess I would continue starting Greg "Family Man" Minor as a way of
shopping him to other clubs. Honestly, Minor is a useful NBA player who
typically plays smart and within himself (a career .483 FG% for example).
He's kind of a poor man's Paul Pierce in terms of decent shot selection and
respectable defense.

Also Bruce Bowen is shooting just .467 from the line (as well as .289 from
the field) while Minor is an above average free-throw shooter. We already
have Walker and Riley out there shooting blanks from the line.

BTW, I'll bet our new shot doctor from Johns Hopkins (Andy Kaufman or
whatever his name is) is already starting to pull his hair out or even
starting to doubt his teaching skills. From an earlier post on this list, I
gathered that Toine seems to have heightened the trajectory of his shot. I
wonder how long it will take for Toine to relearn how to shoot? I've always
found it hard to target the front of the rim accurately while also having to
loft the ball well above it. There's nothing more beautiful than a high arc
shot hitting the bottom of the net (you can't get that effect with a flat
shot), but it seems unnatural and virtually impossible to target correctly
if you grew up doing something different.

I don't know what you all think, but maybe Andy Kaufman should wait until
the end of the year before messing around with everyone's mechanics. Also,
I've read that coaching big men to shoot is completely different from
teaching small guys. You supposedly try to minimize any excess movement
(knee bend especially) because they have longer, ganglier limbs (not to
mention a relatively lower target to aim at). Robert Parish is a good
example of minimal lower body motion. ML Carr dipped his knees down like
crazy to get into a rhythm. Bird started from a crouch, like he was cocking
a gun.

JoeH

re: the Cousy debate,  I  admire him because he is an unmatchable voice of
Celtic authority, he has class, and he has a wry New England wit. I prefer
his style to Johnny Most's later years.

But as broadcasters go, I'd have to say he has the most somniferous voice
I've ever heard. I have a tape of Bird's 60 point game in which Cousy
literally puts me to sleep with that freaking voice of his. Since he is such
a consummate professional, he really should work on improving this IMHO.

****