Globe: Pitino looking to deal

Celtics still casting about

By dangling Mercer as the bait, team is hoping Portland will bite

By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 06/30/99

here is nothing strange about NBA trade rumors this time of year. You always hear about possible deals leading up to draft night, which is tonight. But how about coaching rumors?

''I laughed when I heard about it,'' Celtics coach and president Rick Pitino said yesterday. ''For me to be causing so much stress on my staff, they sure do find time to play a lot of golf.''

According to a report in Sunday's Charlotte Observer, Pitino ''has been riding his staff pretty hard lately so the stress is showing ... there's talk he might accept a buyout and move on.'' Pitino has eight years and $36 million remaining on the contract he and Celtics chairman of the board Paul Gaston signed in May 1997. If he were to accept a buyout, he would lose at least $14 million. Another factor that makes a buyout unlikely is that Pitino's contract is front-loaded: He will make $28 million in the next four years.

''I'll be here for a long time,'' he said. ''There have never been conversations about leaving. I don't know where that story came from.'' The coach then added, with a touch of sarcasm, ''As you know, I spend a lot of time in Charlotte.''

So Pitino will probably be in town for the next several weeks. You may not be able to say the same thing about Ron Mercer. The 6-foot-7-inch shooting guard has had his name discussed in several deals, but the most serious one involves the Trail Blazers.

''We've had dialogue with Portland,'' Pitino said. ''But right now, with what they have on the table, we're not interested. That could change later, but as of right now, there is no interest.''

In the scenario that doesn't interest Pitino, the Celtics would send Mercer and Dana Barros to the Blazers in exchange for center Kelvin Kato and swingmen Jim Jackson and Walt Williams. The most consistent player of the three is Williams. Kato is a good shot-blocker with limited offensive skills. Jackson, the No. 4 pick in the 1992 draft, has already played with five teams. He once scored 50 points in a game and averaged 25.7 points with the Mavericks. But he is an erratic shooter and was involved in the made-for-the-tabloids breakup of the Mavericks' three ''Js'' - Jackson, Jason Kidd, and Jamal Mashburn.

But the Blazers do have some players the Celtics would like to have. Pitino knows his team's biggest weakness is rebounding, so he would love to deal for power forward Brian Grant. Almost any Celtic deal will involve Mercer, although Pitino joked of Grant, ''Maybe Portland can give us him for Pervis [Ellison] straight up.''

That's not likely. And, according to the coach, neither is a proposed three-way deal with the Bulls and Raptors. The Celtics would receive Brent Barry and the No. 5 pick (with which they would probably draft Utah point guard Andre Miller or Rhode Island's Lamar Odom); Mercer, Tracy McGrady, and the No. 12 pick would go to the Bulls; and the No. 1 pick would land in Toronto, which the team would use to select Maryland guard Steve Francis. One of the hitches in that deal is that the numbers don't fit. Barry is scheduled to make about $4 million next year, a superior salary to Mercer's. So for the deal to work, the Celtics would have to add another player.

If teams are eager to make trades, they will have to complete them by 12:01 a.m. tomorrow. After that point, there is a moratorium on deals until Aug. 1.

''It's funny that we're involved in all these rumors,'' Pitino said, ''because right now is the most quiet it's been around here in a while.''

That's not to say the Celtics don't enjoy the conversation. Because if they don't make a deal this evening, they will be one of the loneliest teams in the league. They own one draft pick, the 55th. By that time, not many people will be paying attention to the selections. And the only reason the Celtics will be so attentive is that they will be trying to trade their remaining pick.

Maybe you're wondering, ''Who would want the third-to-last pick in the draft?''

''Sometimes teams see a guy they like that low and would want the pick,'' Celtics general manager Chris Wallace said. Pitino added, ''If teams want it, we'll give it to them.''

The Celtics will discuss dealing that No. 55 pick tonight in their Waltham war room. They will also take a few more calls on Mercer. Not much is clear on the specifics. But this much appears to be obvious: When the Celtics play their first game in the fall, the coach on their sideline will be named Pitino.

This story ran on page C6 of the Boston Globe on 06/30/99.

GIF image