Re: [OFF TOPIC][LONG] Why I left out Ali

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob George

To those of you who questioned my omitting Mohammed Ali from my top 20 list:

I didn't have time to go into depth last night over why I left Ali out of the top 10 on my list, it was so late.  This caused me to have trouble falling asleep, my brain was going 100 mph.

        I glad that my reply served it's purpose.  :-)

I will never sit here and deny that Ali was a great fighter.  He is one of the all time greatest heavyweight boxers.  However, I would love to see how Ali would have fared against these former champs:

Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Gene Tunney
Joe Louis
Rocky Marciano

        Same here. I'd also like to see if Mays, DiMaggio, and Ruth
        could have hit Ryan, Clemens, and Young.

Based upon the films I have seen over the years of these fighters, I think that they are all at least equal to or better fighters than Ali.  For Ali to boast that he is "the greatest" is actually a slander to these great fighters.

        They were great fighters, but the fight game had changed. The
        guys you mentioned were basically flat-footed brawlers (with the
        exception of Louis). They never would have hit Ali. Again, it's
        like trying to match Mays and Clemens, Howe Gretzky,
        Brown and Dickerson. They competed in different eras.

And if you examine Ali's career closely, you see that he suffered missteps that the aforementioned men did not suffer.

His loss in 1973 to Ken Norton and in 1978 to Leon Spinks were really unthinkable for someone like Ali to suffer.  How a fighter of Ali's ability could allow Norton to break his jaw is beyond me.  And in the first Spinks fight, Ali was lazy and totally unprepared.

        Yes, Ali did, at times, suffer from a lackadaisical attitude.
        That, however, should not diminish the man's ability.

Spinks won in a decision, but as Ali proved in the rematch, Spinks did not belong in the same ring with Ali.  If you can show any equivalent fights in the careers of the five deceased champs listed above, bring it on.

        I'm not a betting man (yeah, right), but I'd bet that if there
        was film of all the previous champs fights (which there isn't)
        you'd find that they took a night off here and there, too.

The two real defining victories of Ali's career were his two wins over Joe Frazier.  I believe Frazier was the best fighter Ali ever fought,

        I agree 100%. That, in fact, makes a fighter great. He needs
        a prominent opponent to prove himself.

and I personally wish Frazier had won all of the three Ali fights so that this great fighter would get his proper due.

        and I wish Buckner had fielded the ball...

Ali today suffers from Parkinson's disease, which most people feel was caused by the punishment Ali took from Frazier in the Thrilla in Manila.  Frazier hit Ali so hard, Ali took a terrific pounding.

        My grandfather suffered from Parkinson's disease and he never fought
        Frazier. Contrary to popular belief, Ali's maladies aren't a result of his
        boxing career.

 And IIRC, the decision that Ali won that fight (Manila) was widely disputed and criticized; most boxing experts thought Frazier should have won the fight.  (Those of you who know Sonny Liston better than I might want to offer up your takes here.)

        damn, a contrivertial decision prior to Don King? Imagine that !!  :-)

Then there's the "rope-a-dope".  This often portrays Ali as a legendary fighter, but in reality it exposes stupidity and impatience in Ali's opponent.  This is not such a brilliant tactic by Ali as it is a damnation of any foolish opponent to fall for it.  If I were the trainer for an Ali opponent, I would stay away from Ali for as long as I had to, 8, 9, 10, 11 rounds, whatever it took.  Wait Ali out until he finally came to my fighter.  Work him on pacing carefully while Ali pulls his stall tactics.  Watching an opponent pummel a curled-up, clenched Ali used to make me sick.  How can the fighter be that stupid to fall for that, I thought.

        No, Ali, in my mind, is portrayed by the "float like a butterfly
        and sting like a bee" legend. The "rope-a-dope" was simply
        an effective (though admittedly boring) tactic. Now, who was
        that stupid corner man that Ali had dictating his strategies?

Finally, you have the draft refusal.  I am not really qualified to talk on this subject, I would prefer the Nam vets to offer up their takes on this one.  While I objected to the war unequivocally, I salute the men and women who went over to Viet Nam do what they were ordered to do in the name of their country.  It's easy to sit here and say "Shame on Ali!  He dodged the draft, he should have gone like all the other people had to!" when at the time of Ali being stripped of his title I was only 9 years old.

        Bob, you had to be there.  Frankly, I have to commend Ali for standing
        his ground. He could have very easily taken the route of DiMaggio and
        "entertained" the troops for a couple of years. It's not like he would
        have been sent to Hill 14. The man stood up for his beliefs. More power
        to him !!!

Now, to quote Bill B:

        Now, on an other point, how can you *not* even *mention*
        Mohammed Ali in your top ten !?!?!?  This man is the most
        recognizable athlete (next to Pele) world-wide that ever
        existed. To ignore him in your, or any, top 10 is folly...

I have a problem with the word "recognizable".  This tells me that you are judging Ali more on his shtick than his boxing ability.  This is why Ali will show up on many people's top ten lists:  because Ali was a loudmouth braggart, and a terrific self-promoter.

        Bob, it ain't braggin' if you can back it up !!  Ali did that. Yes, he was the original
        "self-promoter", but it's not his fault TV came of age when he did.

Most everyone in the world faints dead away when they see Ali.  This is due to this, to quote Howard Cosell, "truculent" side of Ali during his heyday.  Ali talked a great game and backed it up, yes.  But if you had Ali's ability, extrapolated to any sport, would you choose to be such a jerk?

        Jerk? Mohammed Ali is one of the most respected, and
        compassionate en on the face of the earth. To debate his
        talents as a boxer is one thing, but to call him a jerk is just
        outrageous.

I listen to the great athletes of all time and how they wax poetic about their adversaries.  What did Ted Williams say about Joe D when he died?  Did you see Magic's tribute to Bird at Bird's number retirement?  Russell and Chamberlain toss each other the highest of praise all the time.

        After the fact, mind you...

All Ali ever talked about was how great he was and how many rounds he was going to knock his opponent out in.  Ali was fortunate in that he never had, save for Frazier, any fighter of his true peer in his day to have to deal with.

        Frazier, Liston, Patterson, Foreman, Quarry, and didn't he beat
        Tefilio Stevenson for the gold medal?  Yeah, the competition sucked.

And again, a fighter of Ali's ilk does not lose to Norton and Spinks.

        Much like any great athlete, he gets beat by his adversary
        and then comes back to whip his ass !!!

Instead, the world sucks up this Ali crap still to this day, and he is revered because he is so "recognizable".  You need to judge Ali in the whole picture, not just his "aura".  He was a great fighter.  He was a jerk in his prime.  He was not the greatest fighter ever.  He was one of the greatest self-salesmen ever.

        You are entitled to your opinion, but it still does not diminish
        the fact that Ali was/is one o the greatest athletes ever.
        ESPN will prove me correct.  :-)

-bill  (what's my name?...)

On my list, Ali fits securely in the 21-30 range.
Bob George

Read Bob George's Best Of Boston Sports At
http://www.bobgeorge.com