1947 / LA Flakers

    Alan Takara from our Celts list was kind enough to inform me
off-line that the first overall draft pick in NBA history was none other
than Utah point guard Walt "Clyde" Misaka, a Japanese-American drafted
(1947) by the NY Knicks.

    Actually I'm not really sure his nickname was "Clyde" but I just
enjoy the sound of it. A high number of players were drafted out of
small New England colleges (including Harvard) and three players were
chosen from the Long Island University team.

    It's ironic that an Asian boy integrated the NBA (of all places)
before black athletes even arrived on the scene. Just to inform you guys
in advance, this will be one factoid I'll casually bring up at every
possible opportunity in the future (e.g. "Oh yeah, Van Horn. Wasn't he
the second highest overall draft pick to come out of Utah??)

    Joe Hironaka

N.B. On the subject of Phil Jackson and the Flakers, my take is that not
just Rodman but also MJ may come out of retirement by mid-season. It
just sounds like too great a "can't miss" championship spotlight
opportunity for MJ to miss out on. On the other hand, this past NBA
season also looked like a no-brainer Fakers coronation once sniper Glen
Rice arrived in La La Land. In the end, it could very well turn out that
Kobe and "Shag" O'Neil will steal all of Phil Jackson's life-giving
mojo. Smashing analysis, baby!