Procrastination Celts Post

Peter May wrote today in the Boston Globe:
"Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston each had 19, but Sprewell patterned
his night after Antoine Walker (24 shots) and Houston missed nine of his
last 11 shots after starting out strong in the first...."

-------------

Well it's true that Antoine Walker averaged a high number of shots
(17.25 per game) this season, but I would point out some other stats:

-Ron Mercer also averaged over 17 shots per game. In fact, Mercer
averaged 17.54 shots per game after February, whereas Antoine Walker
averaged just 16.74 shots over the rest of the season.

-The Celtics were 4-1 with Mercer out of the lineup in February and had
a overall winning record that month with Mercer averaging just 15.5
shots (on a respectable .441FG%). They defeated solid teams like Miami,
Orlando and the 9-3 Knicks. Upon Mercer's return to the lineup on the
1st of March, the Celtics immediately went on their infamous 4-17
streak.

-Ron Mercer attempted 20 or more shots in a game fifteen times this
season, whereas Walker did it fourteen times.

-Walker produced 1.07 points per FG attempt (by hitting 3-pointers and
drawing fouls), whereas Mercer averaged less than 1 point per shot.

    BTW, this is the second gratuitous cheap shot Peter May has taken at
Antoine Walker in the past week (last week he wrote that while few
Celtics players finished among the top 10 in NBA statistics, it was "not
surprising" that Antoine finished in the top 15 in shot attempts). I
suspect May is bitter to learn that the Celts brass have concluded from
watching game videos that the fault for awful team chemistry did not
necessarily lie with "me firster" scumbag Antoine Walker, but with a
player Peter May happily praised just two weeks ago as, among other
things, someone "who doesn't mind staying out of the spotlight"
(Mercer). I personally think Ron Mercer will settle down once he signs a
big enough contract extension that he feels is "fair". At the same time,
I'm pessimistic he will ever contribute assists or even half as many
rebounds as our two franchise, bookend forwards (Walker and Pierce).

    I understand the roots of this "don't trade Mercer, trade ANTOINE!!"
sentiment that we all sense or see is now out there. Clearly Mercer is
loved by Celtics fandom, and as long he stays humble, quiet and "doesn't
mind staying out of the spotlight", we should not need to call into
question or objectively evaluate his actual game, nor even his actions
off the court (accused gang rapist). In this sense, Antoine Walker would
be wise to follow Ron Mercer's effective model.

Joe

    FWIW, I found another clever/funny news parody article ("White
Family Moves to Town") at one of my favorite Web sites
("theonion.com").  http://www.theonion.com/onion3523/white_family.html

    Also, last night Micheal J King joked at length with me about the
danger of pushing "autosend" on a message he intended to be read only to
me. I had a great time kidding around with him, just as I have enjoyed
and certainly took no offense at any post he has ever written to this
list.

*****