Re: Point guard swap in the offing?

Alan Henderson was impressive late in 97-98 and, according to NBA.com,
averaged 18ppg and 7rpg as a starter. He was rewarded with a 7 year
$45M contract (and Atlanta shipped out the slumping Laettner). But
this year, he seems to have taken a major step back offensively,
shooting 44% from the field and going to the line significantly
less frequently. The rebounding numbers could improve when he leaves
Atlanta, who has Mutombo and a good rebounding backcourt. The question
is, did he slump because of the lockout or because he lost motivation
after getting the big contract? I wonder if Tony Battie will be end
up being a better fit at power forward with the Celtics: similar
rebounding ability with shotblocking, and less offense. I doubt he'd
cost more than Henderson either. Well, I hope he doesn't.

Blaylock's always been an impressive defender which could fit in
well with Pitino's defensive tactics. Pitino's always had a healthy
respect for Blaylock's defensive ability. I agree that getting
away from Atlanta could do him some good; Atlanta's a horrible
offensive team that beats teams with even better defense, and that's
when Steve Smith isn't injured. I can imagine a point guard going
crazy deciding whether to throw it to Mutombo, a slumping Henderson,
or whatever chumps they have at 2 and 3 (when Smith is out). It
would be nice to have an All Defensive player on the Celtics; perhaps
it would even be an inspiration.

Overall I would not do this trade, because I'd be uncertain of
which Henderson I'd be getting, and because Blaylock is 32. I hope
that Mercer (and Anderson or whoever else is thrown in) can fetch
more than this.

Alex