Re: A comment about Mercer.....

Joe H. thoughtfully stated:

"I believe (I still do) that some people secretly hope for Antoine to
get
arrested on a drug charge, just to prove we were "right all along in our
hunch
about his kind". While it is certainly poor breeding that makes me raise
the
moot and self-righteous topic of race on this discussion list, it is
also
staggeringly disingenous IMHO to suggest that race (or how we expect
"acceptable" black athletes to behave) is not an issue in Boston that
prevents
us from evaluating players more intelligently."

Sorry Joe, but I don't buy your theory.  In fact, I find it ludicrous.

I have lived in the Boston area for most of my life.  I have lived in
four different communities.  I am the generation that grew up with
"busing", the integration of suburban schools with "inner city" kid's.
All of the kid's bused to my school were African Americans.  I also
volunteer twice a week at my children's elementary school and have for
five years. I also own a business that interacts with 100's of other
business' from all over the country every week.  We deal with everyone
from Clerk's to Salespeople to Officer's.

I can not name one single person I have interacted with in the last 15
years who would wish the downfall of a persons career because of the
color of that person's skin.

Now I won't say that there isn't some racism in Boston or anywhere else
for that matter.  But to suggest that Walker was being booed because of
the color of his skin is just plain wrong.

He was being booed because of his play.  Or lack thereof.  I dare anyone
to prove that he started to work an hour a day on his free throw
shooting prior to being booed.  He did afterwards.  The continued boo's
may not have been "fair" but I thought were used initially to reinforce
his "good play" vs. sliding back into his "prior play".  The fan's also
cheered his successes.  If Pitino could control Walker's play on the
court to be the driving, rebounding and passing play style that the
Garden Fans were demanding, or Walker played that style himself, the
booing never would have happened.

The Garden Fan's did not boo Walker the first two years did they?  Now
all of a sudden they don't like him because he is African American?
Baloney.  Did they just notice this detail?

Walker just signed as the highest payed player in team history.  He damn
well better give the effort required to earn that money.  Look at the
beginning of the year when Dana Barros was considered by many to be an
overpaid underachiever.  At the end of the year he was a reasonably paid
achiever who could be used in a trade.

Barros put in the effort and it showed.  From the beginning of the
season he gave the effort.  Walker did not appear to give the effort and
it showed.

Walker is not paid as a "young man", he is paid as one of the very best
in the game of professional basketball.  The maximum allowed under the
rules.

Is there one person on this list that feel's that Walker gave even 100%
the entire season?  For being paid the most in team history, that is
only the starting point.

Boston sports fan's demand that the best home player on the field, ice,
court etc... give the effort the best ALWAYS give.  All the time.
Period.  Or don't take the role as the "best".

If Walker wasn't able/willing to take on the role as the "best on the
court and deserve to be paid that way" he should have opted for a lower
salary.

Since he did make that choice, it's time to put out the effort required
to earn the salary.

If he doesn't, he will be booed next season too.

And I don't care what color his skin is, he will deserve the booing, as
he did initially this last season.

I believe that to be the same opinions of the Fan's I met at the Garden
this past year.

It's always about the money Joe.  If you "earn it" you get respected.
If you don't "earn it" with your effort or with the results, you get
jeered.

"This isn't Kansas any more, Toto".

Welcome to the big leagues, Mr. Walker.  Can you measure up?

<Jim