Re: Is there a

>From: "Stathis Avgoustiniatos" <stathisa@email.msn.com>
>
>There is an abundance of systems used to evaluate stats for fantasy games
>around the web.  With 1 Point = 1 Fantasy Point, I've seen the following
>systems being used:.............

I once designed a fantasy hoops game that a friend programmed on his PC that
I thought was far superior to anything else I've seen.

Basically the game used statistics to play simulated games between each of
the teams in the league each week.  It computed a number of possessions to
give each team and used their shooting percentages and free throw figures to
figure how many points the teams would score.  You ended up with simulated
games with actual scores and the teams were ranked by their won / lost
record.

There could be a lot of debate on how to do the possessions, but I just
added up all the rebounds, steals, and assists, minus the turnovers to get
the +/-.  I would start with the number of shots actually taken by each team
and, say one team ended up with a 50 +/- and the other 40, I would add 10
possessions to team one and subtract 10 from team 2.  You then take those
posessions and multiply by FG% (you also have to figure how many were 3
point shots and use that %).  Free throws were figured in the same way.  How
many FTs did the team actually take and then compute a +/- based on fouls
committed, apply that then multiply by FT%.  Next thing you know you have
Team 1 (108) Team 2 (83).

Another aspect of the game was that you got to say how many minutes you
wanted to play each of your players.  So, you could play all 12 of your
players if you wished, or only 8.  The penalty was, though, that if you
played someone for more minutes than he actually played (say you play Jordan
for 48 minutes and he only averaged 40), you could only get the stats he
compiled in the 40 minutes and you lost 8 minutes that someone else could
have been playing.  If you played him for 30 minutes, and he really played
40, you got 3/4 of his stats.

The best part of the game was that you had head to head match ups between
the teams.  You could go over to a rival and tell them how bad you kicked
their ass that week.  I also felt that it simulated the real game much more
closely than other fantasy games.  You needed to get a mix of skills to win.
  Just like the real game, you wanted to have players to get your team the
ball, combined with high percentage shooters to score once you got it.

I always wondered if anyone else has ever seen a similar system.  I haven't
really seen too many of them, so I don't know if this is unique or not.

Jim