Ron Mercer -Reply

>>> Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu> 06/04/99 01:25pm >>>

The problem on the Celtics is that they have more efficient
scorers than Ron, despite his sweet looking jump shot; Walker is
slightly more efficient (and gets his own shot)  <<<

Hold on for a minute, Alex!

Walker?  Efficient??  Come on!  While I agree that Walker has a knack for
getting off his shot--good or bad, mostly the latter--there is no way that
he could be considered an efficient offensive player.  In fact, he is the
personification of inefficiency with his wild shots, ill-timed long range
miscues, and propensity for having his shot blocked.

The only way that one could extrapolate Walker's performance as
efficient is to utilize one of the mathematical formulas that you created to
derive a contrived "score."  Where's the validity in that?  I'm not criticizing
the calculation itself, but rather the category that you've chosen to
measure.

Besides, Mercer is a guard and Walker is a forward, further
exacerbating Walker's inefficiency on offense.

Ryan