Penny trade

Don't count on Penny with Celtics

                       By Peter May, Globe Staff, 06/03/99

                              WALTHAM - Orlando general manager John Gabriel
said yesterday there is
                       nothing to the rumored deal that would have the Magic send
                       Penny Hardaway to Boston for Kenny Anderson and Ron
                       Mercer.

                       ''We have nothing going with them,'' Gabriel said.
''The phone has rung. But no one is
                       aggressively pursuing it.''

                       Meanwhile, Rick Pitino said yesterday that any talk
with Orlando, or any other team, is ''all
                       conversation'' at this point.

Why anybody in their right mind would make this deal is beyond me. That would
leave us with no point guard, still without the big man everyone says we need,
and with an off guard who shot 42 % last year, 28% from three and is a
terrible locker room presence to boot. No thank you.