Weekend Review

Just for the list, and not because I had time on my hands over the
weekend, I watched the last two games that I had on tape:  Indy and
the Knicks vs. Celtics.  Here's my review and recommendations:

l.  We have a good team.  Start right now and we'd play .500 ball.

l.5.   Pitino has his team playing with enthusiasm at the end.

2.  VP is a very good center already.  He can push out centers, move
his feet well, block out, and he has real defensive desire.  His soft
shot and determined drives to the basket are quite a plus.  Best trade
yet for Coach P.

3.  Battie is certainly a plus.  His offensive abilities have been
understated; I think he has solid abilities to develop there.  He'll
never weight 260 pounds, tho', so he will always have trouble with the
bigger guys.  If the price is right, keep him.  Off the bench, he
gives us pressing help, shot-blocking, offense--that's a lot.

4.  Mercer is a two; Pierce is a three.  I wouldn't mind using
Antoine at three/four, but Pierce will be hurt playing the two.  He
has the offensive skills, but his defense is better suited to playing
a forward.  His anticipation, vision, shot-blocking, and rebounding
make him an ideal #3 defensively.  I think we would err in changing
that.  Let you best player play where he fits naturally!  And Pierce
is the best talent on the team.

5.  Antoine is needed most for his rebounding and leadership/desire.
If he can accept 14-18 points a game and the shot attempts that
requires--letting Pierce have an equal and sometimes greater scoring
role--then he's a plus.

6.  Mercer.  Ah, Mercer.  We all love his attitude and speed.  I
agree that his defense is maturing (getting better), and a two guard
is supposed to be a shooter, but he sure overdid it this year.
I'll be happy to keep him and not sad if we make a good trade with
him.  After all, I loved Chauncy, too.

Recommendations:

l.  Be slow to pull the trigger.  I can't see letting Mercer and
Anderson go for Penny.  All the bad raps on Penny may be unfair, but I
doubt he would fit in well with Antoine and Pierce.  There's only one
ball.  We need to add people who don't need to be the star.  For the
same reason, Gary Payton would mess up our team.

2.  If Battie has developed well, then keep him.  VP and potentially
Popeye give us bulk down low; Battie gives us the athletic
shot-blocking option.

3.  Trade Mercer only for a power player, one of the Davis'.  Or, if
Vancouver wants a shooting guard for the #2 pick, make them a deal,
draft Brand and pair him with Antoine.

4.  My dream deal, though, is to trade Mercer (throw in Barros,
Bowen, ??) for a #7 to #12 pick and a power forward.  Draft Quincy
Lewis for our #6 man off the bench.  I reiterate:  Quincy Lewis is my
choice for ROY next year.  He could give us all that Mercer does now,
plus range, better rebounding, decent defense, and, of course, a nice
smile.  (So he's essentially a #3--like Pierce, like Antoine, like we
need three top players at #3; like my dream is going to come true
anyway!)

Cheers,  Gene