Re: This is the mentality of Celtics fans -Reply

>>> Josh Ozersky <josh_ozersky@yahoo.com> 07/30/99 10:03am >>>
Anyway, we have to trade Ron.  This is obviously the best Pitino thinks
he can get.   <<<

Josh, although I usually agree with your posts, I completely disagree
with the above statement.  Why do they have to trade Mercer?  Is it
because the team's front office is afraid that he'll bolt after this season
as an unrestricted free agent?

That could be prevented if Pitino, Wallace et al chose to negotiate in good
faith with Mercer.  They willingly shelled out absurdly inflated contracts
for 12th men caliber players Walter McCarty and Banana Boy, so why is
the team  unwilling to pay Ron Mercer market value, as determined by the
league?  If the answer is $$$, then should we revisit last summer's
"Paul-Gaston-has-tight-pockets" theme?