Samaki Walker

I'm never sure whether my replies to someone make it to the list or
not.  I am clearly in favor of acquiring Samaki Walker.  He was, as
you remember, Dallas' choice after the switcheroo that brought us
Antoine and left Dallas with Montross.

I thought that Dallas should have played Trent, Walker, Finley, Nash
and ? at center and they would have been better.  Nelson and his
Europeans remind me of Timothy Leary, who once had some sense.
Anyway, Samaki has great size and reach.  He is a force in the paint
with good rebounding ability, toughness, good shot-blocking ability, a
nice short jumper, a turnaround jumper; he's good.  I can't say he
will be Horace Grant by Christmas, but he can play and should give us
what Popeye was supposed to give us.  Now, if we add S. Walker, get
Popeye back and keep Battie, I would say we're ready for war.

Dallas must feel they're going to resign Gary Trent.  Trent, more
than the Europeans, took time from Walker, but Trent can't be the
rebounder/shot-blocker that Walker is.  Trent is only contributing if
he's scoring 15 or so.  Walker could give us six rebounds, two blocks
and six points and we'd be happy.  Put him beside Antoine and VP and
I'd call that a front line.

Giving up Mercer for S. Walker doesn't seem quite even.  If Dallas is
ready to sweeten that somehow, I could be convinced.  But they have
Finley and sixteen seven-foot Europeans who all play small forward
plus Trent.  What's the deal there?  Where would Mercer fit?

Anyway, cheers to the group.

Gene