Re: Tony Battie

>From: j.hironaka@unesco.org

>In fairness, Vince Carter did average 4.17 assists during is "Rookie of the
>Month" April and close to 3 overall (2.98). This plus his blocks (1.54),
>ability to draw fouls (5.4 FT per game) and rebounds (5.70) from the two
>guard position made him the consensus ROY over our Paul Pierce. Also, Ron
>Mercer scored a bunch of points in part because he took over 17 shots per
>game, compared to Vince Carter's more unselfish 15.3 attempts per game.

Is Carter less selfish, or just smarter?  Imagine a couple of drives a game
where Carter goes up strong and gets to the line, but Mercer avoids contact
and misses a circus shot.  Mercer's move is a missed FG, Carter's is not.
Carter gets the extra FTs, is more productive and looks like he's taken
fewer shots.  It's exactly what a lot of us have been asking for from
Mercer, and frankly what it looked like he was going to give before he
sprained his knee.  Interesting to note that Carter is ahead of Mercer in
most of the non scoring stats, but when compared to Pierce, it's Carter that
I think of as the one dimensional pure-scorer.  Cecil was wrong about Mercer
being better rounded than he's given credit for.  If anything, he's not even
as good a scorer as a lot of people think (although he looks like he has the
talent to be).

>Right now it really looks like Ron Mercer will play out the string and
>become a free-agent next year, unless we can find a taker. If Ron Mercer
>goes unsigned, I'll make a wager with you that 1) Mercer will lead the team
>in shots next season, 2) he will leave at the end of the year, and 3) Rick
>Pitino will leave with him on the phony excuse that he can't compete with
>the sky-rocketing NBA salaries. Moreover, the Celtics will not make the
>playoffs as presently constituted (unless Mercer re-signs and/or goes back
>to his rookie year shot selection and relative unselfishness).

I think you're being overly pessimistic, and I'll try to cheer you up.  1)
If Mercer does lead the team in shots, he might just make a lot of them.  I
agree that this is a huge year for Ron's financial future, but jacking up a
lot of bad shots didn't really help his value last year.  2)  If he does
leave at the end of next year, the Celtics would have a good chance of
getting players back in a sign and trade.  3)  If Pitino's that attatched to
Mercer, then he would sign him.  Pierce is here for years anyway, he might
as well sign Mercer, stay for a few more years and rake in the cash.  That's
not how I think it will happen, but I don't think losing Mercer would be
that devastating to him.

>Joe
>
>p.s. I know I'm probably just paranoid, but I'm starting to see
>similarities between the Tony Battie and Eric Williams situations (Pitino
>dumped EW for even less than a Rodney Rogers).

I think Pitino likes Battie's game a lot more than EW's, though.  I know I
do.  In my mind, Pitino saw a chance to send a message about following
orders when he dumped EW and signed Mills.  He probably thought that was a
wash talent wise.  It could have worked out better, and I don't see him
doing that again.  If Battie is lost it will be because his value in the
league is more than it is for the Celtics.  I don't see how that can be,
because he is a perfect players for this type of team and has just started
to play with confidence.

Jim