Questions (was "Peter May Column")

Hi I'm wondering what Peter May means when he lists the following among the
new rules that will be enforced in the upcoming NBA season:

> PRO BASKETBALL NOTES
> Recommendations might get offensive
>
> By Peter May, Globe Staff, 07/18/99

> On screens, the man who sets the screen must give the defensive player a
> chance to change direction and get around it.

You "must give the defensive player a chance...to get around it"? How very
gentlemanly. Does Peter May mean simply that a "moving" screen will be
strictly enforced? Isn't it strictly enforced already!? I hope someone can
explain.

Also, I believe May mentioned in passing somewhere that Paul Pierce has
demonstrated he can play minutes at two-guard in the Fila tournament. Is this
really the case (dying to know, actually)!? Wasn't Pierce normally out there
with (at least) two other Celts guards on the floor?

It would be great IMO if Adrian or Clack could actually shoot from distance.
I'm wondering which of the two looks less like a 'tweener in the opinion of
list members like Hank and Steve who have been lucky enough to watch the
games, and kind enough to describe them. I think it is obvious that neither
player will get away with a small forwards offensive repertoire once they
start playing in the major league, EVEN if it can look incredibly effective at
that level of competition.

Thanks,

Joe

FWIW, I have a feeling both Clack and Griffin could BOTH make the 1999 roster,
since 1) Greg Minor has a hip fracture excuse to start the season on the
disabled list, 2) the guard corps would thin out if Mercer/Anderson were
traded for a front-court player, and 3) Bruce Bowen would cost Gaston a bit
more as a 3-year NBA veteran compared to the two rookies. As I recall, Bowen
was eventually singled out as the "veteran" who most likely complained to
Michael Holley about Pitino's room checks back in March/April. From watching
videos, I honestly think Bowen is a bonafide impact defender (it's not just
hype), but I also think the rookies also may have a knack for forcing
turnovers as well.

So although there are ten NBA veterans ahead of them competing for the final
seven Celts roster spots, there is still a good chance IMO that Pitino may
keep both Clack and Griffin (despite their having very similar games). IMO,
Battie and Barros are the only "sure" bets to make the Celts bench, although
both could get traded. FA's Damon Jones and Eric Riley will surely make the
team if re-signed. Next there is Minor, Popeye and Pervis, all of whom could
start the season on the disabled list and rotate off it all year long. Dwayne
Shi-tzu can finally get cut in December or sooner. Marlon Garnett can be cut.
Bowen may just be using the Fi-la-la tourney to audition for other teams.

Wayne Turner's numbers look well-rounded and impressive so far. I love to read
that the point guards are pushing the ball fast and using the forward lob as a
weapon. This obviously has translated into easy and exciting baskets (I pray
the leisurely, over-dribbler Kenny Anderson is watching all this). Fantastic
reports BTW. Those posts are what make it really great to be on a list like
this.

*****