Player evaluations so far in FILA summer league play

These are just my player impressions from FILA summer league play to date.
(Note : I haven't been hired to be a scout for anyone yet, so you get what
you pay for ;-)  I'm sure other people who saw these games have different
opinions, and I would welcome their views too, and from the people who get to
watch the Boston summer games as well.  It will be fun to compare notes.
(These comments are based on seeing 5 of the 6 Celts games through the game
this Saturday against the Clippers.)

Wayne Turner.  Can take it coast-to-coast and score.  He can pass.  He can
play good pressing defense.  Didn't see a lot of jumpers or long range shots.
 But team moves well with him running the show.  Both Wayne and Kevin Ollie
were very fast bringing the ball up court, and both would occasionally keep
the defense off balance by actually continuing their drive past half court !
(Scoring even.  Kenny and Dana please take note !!)  Neither took a lot of
shots far from the basket - although they may be able to - they just didn't
do it a lot.  But then, maybe they were told to do other things.

Kevin Ollie.  Same as above except made some more creative or spectacular
baskets in traffic near the basket.  Got to the free throw line more often as
a result of his drives.  Bigger than WT.  Maybe slightly less sharp on
pressing defense.  Had the impression he was slightly outplaying Wayne T.
until I checked out the stats.

Looking at the stats from the first 4 games, I was surprised to see that
Wayne actually took more shots than Kevin Ollie - though Ollie got to the
line for FTs a lot more often.  But what didn't stand out watching the game
live, but does in the stats, is that Turner had a few more assists with a lot
less turnovers, a few more rebounds, and quite a few more steals.  Too few
games to write the book on, but interesting.  It's easier to see why someone
would like Turner as a point guard after seeing him play.

Bruce Bowen.  Still crazy after all these years - on defense.  And has
definitely taken a more aggressive attitude on offense and actually scores
some points.  Which makes it hard to just automatically swap him for one of
the new players.

Marlon Garnett.  Plays hard, runs well, was shooting well from 3-pt range,
but didn't attract attention to his play very often.  Similar in that way to :

Bryant Smith.  Didn't score a lot.  Mainly showed up on defense.  Very active
there and had some good deflections, rebounds.  Seemed to be an unusually
good rebounder for his size and very willing to mix it up in traffic to get
the rbs.  More an impression as he didn't get a lot of minutes, so his stats
per game aren't impressive.  Which is true of many other players.

Paul Pierce.  Best player on the floor for both teams for all the games he
was in.  By a long stretch.  (After 4 games was not only Celts leader in
points, but also in rebounds and blocks.)  Could have a future ;-)

Adrian Griffin.  Seemed to me to be the most interesting player in terms of
whether he might make the team, and who he might replace if he did.  Struck
me as a natural threat more to Greg Minor than anyone else, that is, if we
could move Minor or wanted to.  Greg actually played pretty well last year,
especially showed a lot of toughness on defense, and is strong.  As is
Griffin, which, along with size and possibly position, is what brings a
comparison to mind.  On the other hand, Greg has a nice medium range jumper,
which Adrian hasn't so far shown.  Where Griffin beats Minor, and maybe most
of the other (non-starting) Celts, is in one-on-one moves close to the
basket.  When he has been isolated one-on-one near the basket, I don't recall
anyone (in this summer league series) who has been able to stop him.  (Or
could just be a problem with my memory!)  That was particularly evident in
the game against the Clippers, where the Celts isolated him often late in the
game when they were making their run.  He showed a variety of really
wonderful moves and ways of scoring.  It got so bad (for the unfortunate
Clips guards), that the people around me would yell, "uh-oh, uh-oh" whenever
AG got the ball.  Everyone knew what was going to happen, but the player
guarding him didn't have a chance of stopping it.  "You can't stop him, you
can only try to contain him".

The real question though, before signing him on, is  - can he hit jumpers, or
shoot long range.  Or does he need to ?  (He did hit one 3-pointer unguarded
beyond the 3 point line near the end of the game).  But definitely a player
to watch.  He has been very smart and heady on defense, causing a good number
of steals or deflections, has made a fair number of assists, generally plays
a very aware and smart game.  Knows what needs to be done.

Tony Battie.  You really have to see how Tony is playing now.  Do not trade
him for anyone but a major star.  If he can continue to improve, like his
play now compared to when he played for Denver, or when he came to the Celts
- he has a tremendous future.  And unlike a lot of "potentials", is showing
improvement and a great attitude about raising his play to another level.
Besides, he's great fun to watch.

Kris Clack.  Has had a couple of outstanding moments, but generally blends
into the woodwork.  Seems to have the athleticism and a desire to play hard,
but may be lacking in experience, or maybe it's just a rookie thing that will
pass.  Hard to evaluate as a keeper at this point.  Maybe the East Coast
camps will show if he has more to offer.

Antoine Hyman.  Actually plays a nice game at this level.  But again, blends
in more than stands out.  Same comments as for Kris C.

Walter McCarty.  Clippers game was his first. Didn't look bad and got quite a
few points.  But would have to see him in more games to evaluate.

Vitally Potapenko.  Looked pretty bad in the rout of the Lakers - dropping
passes, dribbles, rebounds.  Much better against the Clips.  Moved better
with the ball, caught passes better etc.  Still has a good shooting touch and
a good variety of shots.  Has continued to show good understanding and
enthusiasm for defense.  Getting called for a lot of fouls (more even than
Eric "the human foul highlight" Riley so far), but then, it seems like the
refs are calling fouls much more often in this series than in last year's
regular season.  They aren't allowing the wrestling matches under the basket
like they used to.  If they keep it up, VP will have to adjust his game (as
will all the physical centers and power forwards). VP still moves laterally
pretty well on defense, and certainly can put a body against anyone in this
league.   If he can just consistently handle the ball well, he will be ok.

Hank M.