the talk

I've been away a few days, so I have some catching up to do:

1. The Mercer for Kukoc deal: Only if the Walker rumors are more than just
rumors. Kukoc is strictly a small forward, and I think Pitino is convinced
that is Walker's best position.

2. The Walker rumors: Walker for Vin Baker? No. Mercer for Baker? Yes. I'm
for keeping Walker, but he'd better fetch a Brian Grant in return if he is
dealt.

3. Barros to Denver? For Herren? Barros is worth more than a second-round
pick, even if it does free up a small amount of salary cap room. For Herren
and Keon Clark? Maybe. I just don't see the match here.

4. Mercer almost dealt: Am I the only one who noticed that note over the
weekend that mentioned the Mercer for Antonio Davis and the 25th pick deal
that almost was made? What a great deal that would have been for the Celts.
Too bad it didn't happen.

5. Houston, Denver and Phildelphia are actively pursuing Rodney Rogers, so
Pitino wasn't the only trained eye attracted by RR. We all were quick to
criticize Pitino for his interest, but it seems clear that plenty of NBA
officials also like Rodney's game.

6. Finally, my hope is we keep Antoine and find a way to deal Mercer for a
PF (I feel like a broken record on this.). Use the two exceptions on the two
best players available, regardless of position.

Mark