Welcome to your new fans, Mr. Stewart!!!

What a cool way to start the new year; the C's kick butt on the Raptor's and the local fans show their real colors.

Curious to see ADQ get DNP-CD, and Shinsplints may be the early favorite for most improved.

On to bigger and better things,
Ode

Celtics 106, Raptors 88

Tuesday, Jan. 26 11:58pm ET

Fans get violent in Toronto

TORONTO -- A violent mob scene by general-admission fans awaiting entry to the Toronto Raptors' lone home exhibition game marred the Boston Celtics' 106-88 victory on Tuesday night.

Thousands of fans were waiting to enter SkyDome, but only one entrance was opened, creating a logjam. Fans responded by smashing windows and overturning a telephone booth before order was restored.

Basketball fans in Toronto attempt to squeeze through the doors at SkyDome after the Raptors gave away tickets for an exhibition game against the Boston Celtics.

The surge of fans created a mini-stampede that left dozens of women and children in tears as well as four smashed doors and some broken turnstiles. No life-threatening injuries were reported

"I was just trying to get in and my head was pushed up against the door and it just shattered," said Daniel Segon, 16, of Toronto. "It was too rough for me."

Segon suffered several deep cuts in his right hand while protecting his head during the melee. Ambulance attendants called to the entrance of the upper deck wrapped his hand in gauze and examined several others.

"I knew someone was going to get hurt, I just didn't think it would happen to me," Segon said.

The melee eased once Raptors officials removed the turnstiles.

"We were really caught off guard," said Jim Roe, the director of event operations for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. "We were a little overwhelmed by the number of people taking us up on our offer of free tickets.

"We're really very sorry."

Fans began lining up as early as noon because of the free-ticket offer -- part of the NBA's plan to win back fans following the lockout, a plan that includes free scrimmages and reduced prices for preseason games.

But the organized lineup turned into an uncontrollable mob when thousands of fans arrived later in the day. It was so crowded that the faces of the people in the front of the line were being smashed against the glass doors.

Bodies got caught between the doors when they opened at 5:30 p.m., and people were tripping over each other as they scrambled to get the best of the 10,000 free seats.

Only about a dozen SkyDome security guards were on site. Police and ambulances didn't arrive until things got out of control.

"It's unfortunate," said Richard Peddie, president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. "We never anticipated this kind of a turnout."

A similar incident happened at SkyDome on April 25, 1995. People stampeded through a gate when the Toronto Blue Jays tried to win back fans after the baseball strike by offering free seats in the upper deck.

Once things calmed down Tuesday, about 8,000 fans found seats in the upper level while about the same amount of Raptors season-ticket holders filled the lower section. The crowd was listed at 25,001.

The Raptors also have offered free upper-level tickets to three upcoming regular-season games, two at SkyDome and one at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Roe said the team would re-examine how it offers the free seats.

On the court, Ron Mercer scored 25 points -- including Boston's first 11 -- and Antoine Walker added 19 for the Celtics, who shot 46 percent (44 of 95) from the field and forced 21 turnovers. The former Kentucky teammates combined for 15 points in the third quarter, when Boston outscored Toronto by 14 points to open an 87-66 lead.

Rookie forward Paul Pierce started scored 14 points for Boston, which never trailed and led by as many as 24 points. He was the first player to leave Kansas coach Roy Williams' program early and signed a three-year, $3.67 million contract.

Celtics giard Kenny Anderson, who refused to play for the Raptors last season after being acquired for Damon Stoudamire, was booed every time he touched the ball. Anderson finished with 10 points.

Doug Christie scored 16 points and offseason acquisition Kevin Willis added 12 for the Raptors, who were limited to 39 points in the second half. Willis was acquired in a trade with the Houston Rockets.

Toronto rookie guard Vince Carter, the fifth overall pick, was 2-of-10 from the field and scored seven points in 28 minutes. The Raptors shot 36 percent (30 of 83).

The Raptors trailed by 12 points after the first five minutes, and didn't make a basket until Charles Oakley put back an offensive rebound at 5:55 of the first quarter.