Re: Draft

Yes I am Dick Vitale.  I hate when people
guess my true identity :) But I really think
Odom, Francis, possibly Davis will be out.
Ketner has a much better upside than Young:
He's 6-10, 280; plays better against bigger
people; can pass a little and has a nice touch.
He's been hurt at UMASS by lack of a point
guard.  Ketner's the type of guy who will
surge at pre-draft camps... Gadzuric has
tendinitis at the moment, but he is a
NBA center, and MacCulloch will certainly be
drafted before Young.  I also failed to mention
Jason Collier and Alvin Jones at Georgia
Tech.  Jones reminds me of a Theo Ratliff.
AJ Bramlett at Arizona is interesting too.
So there's a few centers out there to choose
from.

If I had to guess whom the C's will draft,
I'd say either Ketner or Chris Herren/
Mateen Cleaves/Shaheen Holloway.  I
don't trust Anderson's knees, and there will
be one or two quality point guards available
when they select.  Holloway reminds me of
Terrell Brandon, and Herren is a local
Massachusetts product who can really shoot
and play hard-nosed defense.  The caveat to the
above, is if, Shawn Marion is available when
the C's draft. He's so much like Scottie Pippen
that it's eerie.  I can definitely see the C's
taking him even though he plays the same position
as Pierce/Mercer.

I guess I have to concur with your point that
there will be a few decent centers available,
but it wouldn't surprise me if they took a
point guard or the best player available.
MG

---peter delevett <pdelevett@amcity.com> wrote:

> Hey, Mr. Ghost, where's the love?
>
> Mister Ghost wrote:
> >
> >  No offense intended, but I'm trying
> > hard not to burst out laughing.  Tim Young
> > is Travis Knight with slightly better skills.
>
> That's a fancy list of college players you've got, but a) how many
of these
> guys are coming out this year? Lamar Odom's a freshman, Baron Davis a
> sophomore ... and b) how many on your list are big men? I don't
think we're
> going to be looking at Davis or Andre Miller in the low post, do you?
>
> I'd be glad if you're right that the Celtics will be able to choose
from among
> better centers than Young (although if you're counting Todd
McCullough in that
> number, I gotta seriously question your judgment. For that matter,
Gadzuric is
> not an NBA center; Lari Ketner can't dominate a middling Atlantic 10
> conference). As for Dallas, Milwaukee, et. al, if they think they're
set at
> the pivot, fine by me. Personally, I'd rather have Noah manning the
middle
> than the Mavericks' "deepest center rotation in the NBA," which
consists of
> old, tired guys and thin, bad young guys.
>
> My main point was, the Celtics will hopefully have a shot at
drafting a decent
> big man, since many of the teams that could be  drafting before them
don't
> need centers as badly as we do.
>
> (By the way, are you really Dick Vitale? Steve Francis, "The Pocket
Jordan?"
> "How can anyone not know about The Big Q - Quentin Richardson from
Depaul,
> inch for inch, the best rebounder in college basketball; don't
forget Jumaine
> Junes or Michael Redd....")

==
MG In Exile