Re: Pierce

Steve wrote:

> Pierce is going to be the Randy Moss of the NBA..Teams are going to wish
> they had picked him up

****

Hi:

I guess one big thing that should really excite us about Paul Pierce is that
it's not only "Coach Pitinochio" but also his fellow players who so far have
been blown away by his total game. Given how hyper-competitive all our young
forwards are, that's a good early sign for sure.

Personally, I'm most relieved to hear that Pierce is hulked up and playing
respectable defense, since the Celtics already are (arguably) so deficient
and/or undersized at two other key defensive positions (1 and 5). My biggest
concern about Pierce had been that his college career and physical tools
remind me of other polished but smallish lottery forwards who never quite
put it together at the next level such as Albert King (Bernard King's
brother), Sean Elliot (too frail, I guess) and Kenny Walker. And I still
think, in general, that the NBA is no longer a league for 6-7 starting
forwards unless they can absolutely shoot the lights out (Chuck and Wes
Person, Johnnie Newman etc) or are a horrific freak of nature (Larry
Johnson, Charles Barkley, the Worm).

But then again there was John Havlecek, who didn't do anything particularly
well except find ways to win about a dozen championships (with and without
Bill Russell) over the LA Fakers and other over-confident pretenders. I hope
Paul Pierce will be the second coming of Hondo. It's hard to imagine there
could ever be another championship team with less physical talent but more
courage and pride ("Celtic Pride") than the one's led by 6-5 Hondo, 6-8
Cowens, and 6-7 Paul Silas in the 70's.

Sorry if this post rambles. I had a long Monday out here in Euroland.

Joe

p.s. I hope we crush Toronto (and Yogi Boo Boo Boy Stewart) in the
exhibition opener. Is anyone (Bill Cooper or Josh O. etc.) planning to do a
game summary for the list? I think about 200 of us would really appreciate
it  :-)

****