Bye, Bye, Banana Boy?

I'm guessing that "Way of the Ray" is already way ahead of me on this
one (I only get the digest version of this list), but in case I'm
wrong:  ESPN's David Aldridge is reporting that the Celtics and Lakers
are close to a deal that would send Travis Knight back to LA in
exchange for Tony Battie.  No other details were mentioned.

I like this trade, especially if the C's can sign Stewart and keep
Popeye.  Battie is apparently only 6'9", and he's no center -- but
then again, neither is Knight.  From all accounts, Pitino was truly
impressed with Battie's raw athletic ability during his pre-97 draft
workout.  He certainly has more of an upside than Elden Campbell, if
not Campbell's immense wingspan.  The C's clearly don't need Knight's
outside touch, and perhaps Battie will lend a measure of quickness and
toughness inside.

So if all goes Pitino's way, the Celtics are left with:

1-Anderson, Barros, ?
2-Mercer, Bowen, Minor, Dontae'
3-Pierce, McCarty
4-Walker, Jones, Battie
5-Stewart, DeClerq

A little undersized, perhaps, with nobody over 6'10".  But not bad.
Not bad at all.