the top 2

Greetings All!

LB was quoted on the list as saying that Jordan was in the top 2 of the
alltime greatest.  I also read in the local paper that Bob Cousy said
the same thing.  I'm assuming Cousy was thinking of Russell, I wonder if
Larry had the same thought.  Dr. Jack on ESPN also made mention of the
Bearded One when asked if MJ was the greatest of alltime.

Well, this season finally getting started is beginning to get me
excited.  I read nearly every post during the long dark days of the
lockout and would now like to offer some thoughts on the upcoming
season.

Keep Walker, Mercer, Anderson, and Pierce for at least this shortened
season.  Let's see how they can work together.  50 or so games should be
enough to see if it's a good mix.  Remember that the best team does not
necessarily require all 4 of them to be starters.  A solid sixth man
providing hustle and scoring has been a Celtic tradition and Mercer or
Pierce may be that guy.  It takes more than 5 to win a title.  I'd like
to see us be 8 deep.

The center position is clearly unsettled.  A number of different options
exist.  I've never liked Campbell (of course I've never really cared for
any Laker, respected perhaps).  However, if he can be had for the
already mentioned Knight & Minor and no one else well...this is where
Pitino earns his $$.  The other options of course are to pursue some
other FA such as Stewart or Geiger or wait it out this season, let
others develop and see what happens between the end of this season and
next with regards to the draft, trades, FAs etc.  Maybe Elton Brand will
leave Duke?? If the four end up all being keepers then really the center
only needs to be a guy who can clog the middle and grab some rebounds
and not a superstar.  Sure would've been nice to have Tim Duncan,
though.

Popeye or no Popeye?  I say if he's in the shape that everyone seems to
think he's in then sign him and give him the season to prove or disprove
his value to the team.  Barros, I may be wrong on this but I don't see
him as a member of the next championship team mainly because I think
he'll be traded at some point.  Backup point? I don't have much to offer
on this.  The one guy I've kept an eye on is Khalid Al-Amin from UCONN.
He's about 5-10 but he seems to know the game and how to play it.  He
might be available mid first round provided he comes out this yr., which
I think he might.

Thanks for reading.  I'm waiting to see who ends up wearing the green
this season and how they perform.  Confident we'll be seeing a banner
raised within the next 3 seasons.  Crazy or not, I think we've got a
better chance of this happening for us than the Fakers.

Bob