The team of 2001!!!

Paul and Jim thanks for your insight on this rapidly approaching a run away
train story/rumor.  After watching Campbell for the 90's, living in the
Pacific Division, there is no way this guy is going to play RP basketball
and justify his contract, plus losing a couple players, even if they are
below average and cap drains (except for maybe Pervy).  Campbell would have
to find a new religion or drug to improve his skills and attitude to be
worth brining onto this soon to be explosive team (Green blood).  I can't
imagine it for anything at this time.

Mash might be worth getting in leau of Minor or Travis, but as Paul put it
so well, NEVER in the trade of the "Big Four".  He could perform well, under
RP, at least he has in the past.  And as a possible 6th man, it could
happen, but not at the ultimate price.

I will say I feel we should probably feel very grateful if we can arrive at
having 4 of the 5 players of Championship caliber starting 5.  AW, Ron and
Kenny fit the bill, IMO, and PP should once he proves himself of this level,
leaving only the center position as a question.  Look back through the
history of the league, and of course the Russell teams had a HOF starting 5
at one time or another, but in today's game 4 out 5 being at point of a top
5 player at their position is certainly enough to win it all.  Left to gain,
is experience playing together and in the league, meaning 2001 in realistic,
again IMHO.

With this in mind what do need at center given the dollar conditions?  I say
either a bruiser, who can score when needed, maybe (big stretch) Geiger, but
in reality a finesse player like Stewart, who might never be called to score
much, could do well.  In answering Jim earlier, I have seen MS play in
person twice, and on the tube at least 2 other times, he has the framework
for the real deal. He needs to add some weight and conditioning, who doesn't
save for O' Miller maybe, and become more confident.  This is my lasting
impression, is that he has definite prescience and skills, but he seemed
tentative at times on the floor.  I believe this came from being on a bad
team, with a marginal coach, playing in his hometown as a FA, and most
importantly being unsure of his role on the that King team.  Put on the
right team, with confident teammates, and top notch coaching, and again most
importantly given the keys to the city so to speak, he should excel.  The
bottom line is I believe we should throw every dollar of open cap money at
him, and use our exception (1MM on a back-up PG like Alvin Williams, I would
preach on his skills to, but not today), and make him know he is our boy.
Not to expect him to become an All-Star this year or next, but be the 5th
guy with the others noted.  The new CBA would allow us to basically keep him
for ever, if we wanted at a reasonable price.

Again I think the players are here now.  With the new CBA, and some kind of
luck, they will be here for a long time, making the next couple of
acquisitions ultimately critical.  The final pieces are out there for us to
get and I for one have the confidence that our brain trust will see to
getting them.  Time is all we need right now, in the form of teamwork and
experience.  The return to the top is in our reach, let's hope for the last
final component of this idea to return completely to the franchise in the
form of "Luck".

Top of the day to you, and God Speed,
Ode