Celtics Aren't Getting Mark Strickland

Apparently both Brent Barry and Strickland are re-signing with Miami...

         Published Tuesday, January 12, 1999, in the Miami
                              Herald
         HEAT
        Free agent wants
        to remain in
        Miami

        By STEVE WYCHE
        Herald Sports
        Writer

        At least
        publicly,
        free-agent guard
        Brent Barry
        wants to re-sign
        with the Heat
        and Miami wants
        him on its
        roster, not as a
        pawn to make a
        trade.

        ``We are not looking to sign and trade him,'' Heat
        coach Pat Riley said. ``In all my conversations
        with Brent, he has let me know he would be more
        than willing, if we strike the right deal, to play
        here. That's what we're going to be pursuing.''

        Added Barry's agent, Arn Tellem: ``We've talked a
        number of times recently, and the focus has been on
        just signing Brent, not signing him for the
        purposes of trading him.

        ``The ball's in Miami's court. We're waiting for
        more specifics as far as contract numbers. When
        that happens, we'll deal with what occurs next. If
        they have plans to trade him, I'm sure [Heat
        general manager] Randy Pfund would tell me. He has
        not.''

        Under the terms of the new collective bargaining
        agreement, Barry could be paid as much as $9
        million in the first year of his contract, with
        annual raises of 12.5 percent. Tellem said he does
        not expect his client to land such a lucrative
        contract.

        Although Riley says he wants Barry on the roster,
        the Heat may still be working on deals that include
        moving Barry, one of four Heat free agents not
        working out at Miami's training facility Monday.

        Barry could be trade bait in a deal to pick up
        Golden State's Latrell Sprewell, Bimbo Coles or
        Clarence Weatherspoon. The Warriors are trying to
        acquire Barry.

        To move Barry, Miami would have to sign him for at
        least three years, based on the new collective
        bargaining agreement.

        Miami may not approach Tellem with the idea of a
        sign-and-trade until it has assurances from another
        team that a deal could be reached. The benefits of
        such a move are twofold:

       +  Barry could sign for more with the Heat than with
        any other team because of the Larry Bird rule that
        allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign
        their own free agents.

       +  Miami could land a needed player in exchange for
        Barry, who is desired by several teams.

        Barry has told several players, some Heat teammates
        and members of the media he did not expect to
        re-sign with the Heat because he would rather play
        in the more open-court style of many Western
        Conference teams.

        Tellem said Barry's true feelings are quite the
        contrary. ``Brent was very happy in Miami, and he
        would be delighted to stay in Miami,'' Tellem said.
        ``With Brent, some of the things he said, a lot of
        it was his sense of humor. But Brent has
        communicated to Randy Pfund what his true feelings
        were. The organization is well aware that he would
        be happy to return.''

        Should the Heat keep Barry, he would compete with
        incumbent shooting guard Voshon Lenard for the
        starting spot and possibly be used as Tim
        Hardaway's backup at point guard.

        In other personnel moves, the Heat likely will
        agree to terms with free-agent forward Mark
        Strickland this week. Strickland's agent will be in
        town Wednesday, and Riley said bringing back
        Strickland is a priority.

        ``We value Mark,'' Riley said. ``He's a dedicated
        worker, he has grown and we feel like he can really
        help our team.''

        Teams are allowed to reach deals in principle but
        cannot make them official until the lockout
        officially is lifted on or around Jan. 18.

        The Heat also plans to come to terms with
        free-agent forwards Keith Askins and Marty Conlon
        in the next few days. Free-agent guard Rex Walters
        is working out with the team and is expected to be
        invited to training camp.

        Riley said the Heat wants to retain backup point
        guard Eric Murdock, but Murdock said he would
        rather not play for the $662,000 minimum salary
        Miami likely will offer him. Should the Heat extend
        him its $1.75 million exception, he will return, he
        said.

        Murdock is working out at the Nets training
        facility near his home in New Jersey. The Nets are
        said to have Murdock as Plan B should they not be
        able to re-sign free agent guard Sherman Douglas,
        formerly of the Heat.

        Miami also is talking with draft pick Corey Brewer,
        who has spent the past few months playing with the
        Grand Rapids Hoops of the Continental Basketball
        Association. The Heat will tender him a one-year,
        $287,000 contract -- the only deal allowed for
        second-round draft picks -- in the next few days.

        Brewer can either join the Heat and compete for the
        backup point guard spot, or stay in the CBA and
        become a free agent next season.

        Riley also said he may bring in up to six free
        agents -- either undrafted rookies, former CBA
        players or European league refugees -- into
        training camp, which will begin no later than
        Jan. 18.

        Herald sports writer Steve Wyche can be reached by
        e-mail at swyche@herald.com

                 Copyright © 1999 The Miami Herald