Re: Brent Barry To The Celtics?

At 10:02 AM 1/10/99 -0900, Paul M. wrote:
>Has anybody heard anything about this one? Do the Celtics have enough cash
>to sign him? (I haven't read a thing about the new CBA because I haven't
>had time to think about it.).....and why would they want to? I'm not really
>thrilled with Barry's defense since he never plays it. I've also read that
>he wants to go west where his passion for defense is shared by others. I
>guess he could fit into Pitino's system...but I just don't like his game
>that much. He seems the epitome of the all flash no substance NBA player.
>Maybe it's just my anti-"California boy" bias. Anybody think this would be
>a good move?

I think it falls in the past its due date ideas category. Old rumor from
last season that made better sense before drafting Pierce -because Barry
could at least provide some to the hoop slashing offense, which the Cs of
last year needed much more regular doses of as an alternative to/to better
open up the %$#%^$# 3 point bricks. Not so much now, if Pierce is anything
like as advertised.

Per what been posted, we've only got 1.7M available -the new cap will only
be about 30MM instead of the expected 32-36MM. That would probably sign
Barry, I should think. But with only that much $ and 1 slot available for a
player, there are better uses for the Cs to put it to.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net