Peter May Still Skeptical Of Walker - Pitino Dynamics/ Decrease In Salary Cap Hurts Teams

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                PRO BASKETBALL
                                More to Walker case than money

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 01/10/99

                                We now know the cost of doing business in the NBA. The Celtics know
                                it. Antoine Walker knows it. David Falk knows it, even if he doesn't
                                like it.

                                It follows that there should be no reason now for the Celtics not to re-sign
                                Walker. Yes, the mother lode is still staggering: Walker would be eligible
                                to sign a seven-year extension averaging $12.24 million per season. And the
                                total - $85-plus million - is about $60 million more than Paul Gaston has
                                ever agreed to pay to any player on the Celtics. (It's OK with Antoine,
                                though.)

                                But if Gaston is going to keep the Celtics competitive, those are the
                                numbers he is going to have to swallow - and more than once. Will he do it?
                                He has to. But the phrase that kept reverberating last Thursday when the
                                deal was approved by the owners was ''well-managed.'' David Stern said the
                                deal gives teams a chance to make money if they're ''well-managed.'' That's
                                a not-too-subtle message (or a shot at the Clippers), and he said it more
                                than once. Some owners (Micky Arison in Miami, for example) don't care
                                whether their team is well-managed. Gaston cares a lot. But if he's going to
                                compete, he will have to pay.

                                But the Walker issue was never just about money. He always knew that was
                                going to be there; the only question was the number of zeroes at the end of
                                the check. The issue also is about style, personality, and relationships.
                                Can he and Rick Pitino coexist over the next several years and will Walker,
                                and others, want to keep playing a certain style into their late 20s? Will
                                Walker grow up and stop being the boor that he can be on the floor, a
                                behavior pattern that makes him one of the league's least-liked players?
                                Will Pitino demand more maturity from his ''captain'' or will he stand back
                                as he did last year?

                                Walker clearly is a wonderful talent and still a work-in-progress. What he
                                needed most - a veteran to tell him when to stop acting like a jerk - he
                                never got in Boston. (Frank Brickowski wasn't around long enough.) The
                                Celtics will have to sign him, if for no other reason than to have him
                                available for a deal if it doesn't work out. Pitino thinks it will, which is
                                exactly what we expected him to say. Walker says he wants to stay, which is
                                what we expected him to say. We've learned by now, however, that what is
                                said and what is done aren't always the same thing.

                                A logical step

                                The NBA finally came to its senses and allowed teams to talk to agents while
                                the lawyers from the league and the union go over the new agreement. It was
                                naive to pretend that nothing was going on, and this gives both parties a
                                chance to examine the landscape. Teams had been able to discuss deals among
                                themselves; why not with agents as well? ... The new deal will help teams
                                like the Celtics keep their players. It gives teams a twofold advantage in
                                re-signing their own free agents: a club can offer an extra year (seven vs.
                                six) and can offer yearly raises of 12 percent vs. 10 percent. If Walker,
                                for instance, were to test the waters this summer, he could field a bid of
                                no more than $67.5 million over six years (still enough to avoid the crowds
                                at Kmart and Piggly Wiggly). The Celtics can offer seven years and the
                                aforementioned $85-plus million. Which one would you take? ''For a team that
                                is building through the draft, it's a great deal,'' said MSG boss Dave
                                Checketts, one of the Nine Angry Men on the Labor Relations Committee.
                                ''It's excellent for the Celtics.'' He then paused and said, ''You know, as
                                a matter of fact, I was thinking of the Celtics the whole time we were
                                negotiating. I wanted to protect them. That was my goal all along.'' He then
                                said his next goal was to acquire Pervis Ellison for Patrick Ewing... Pitino
                                said the Celtics had had several discussions about free agency during the
                                lockout and not a single one dealt with a cap of $30 million. That figure is
                                a killer not just for Boston, but for a lot of teams. ''A lot of teams are
                                in a panic,'' said Nets coach John Calipari. ''They thought they could get
                                two guys and now they probably have enough for only one.'' Detroit got
                                crushed, from $10 million to around $8 million. Orlando, for instance, has
                                seen its cap room fall from around $8 million to $6 million. That's still
                                enough for Matt Geiger, Ike Austin , or whomever but probably not enough for
                                two decent players. The Celtics have no options unless they can unload
                                salaries, a difficult task given their largely unappealing roster. Their
                                best bet would be to re-sign Popeye Jones and live with what they have in
                                the middle ... If you were a major sponsor of Indiana Pacers basketball,
                                last week was your basic win-win. Not only did you see the season saved (not
                                to mention a possible title for your Pacers) but you also could toast the
                                settlement in Cancun. That's where the Pacers took their VIS (Very Important
                                Sponsors) ... We hear that the owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Peter Holt,
                                is less than enthused about bringing in Mr. Warmth, Latrell Sprewell. The
                                odds still favor Miami, but the base-year compensation rules may hurt any
                                deal because the Warriors want Brent Barry included. The same goes in
                                discussions with Indiana ( Travis Best would be a base-year guy) and New
                                York ( Charlie Ward) ... Checketts is concerned that Ewing is not in shape
                                as the season approaches. ''Did you see him in Atlantic City? It wasn't
                                pretty,'' Checketts said. ''He needs now to focus on basketball. I told him
                                that. I told him his concern is the Knicks, not the union. I would have
                                rather seen someone else at the bargaining table, like maybe Reggie Miller,
                                but it was Patrick.'' Ewing, remember, missed most of last year with a wrist
                                injury and then spent the last several months acting as president of the
                                union. Checketts said he was convinced last Monday that the season would be
                                over. ''The owners were tight. I was wondering what we were going to do with
                                all those empty nights,'' he said. ''But I think what happened is that Billy
                                [ Hunter] figured he had come too far, too long, and that he'd better get an
                                agreement for those guys who were coming into town. So his executive
                                committee told him, `Go make a deal.''' It could have been ugly had those
                                players not had an agreement on which to vote. ''I was expecting an eventful
                                day,'' Danny Ferry said. ''I don't know what would have happened if we did
                                not have something to vote on.'' ... We won't know for a while whether the
                                fans will come back - all bullet polls indicate they still don't care - but
                                it would be misleading to base anything on the dog-and-pony show last week
                                at the GM Building. Yes, there were fans and autograph-seekers, but it was a
                                celebrity-spotting thing. Most people didn't even know whose autograph they
                                were getting, and no one had to pay a nickel for the privilege ... Aside to
                                Coach Pitino: The six-month labor impasse was a lockout, imposed by
                                ownership, not a strike.

                                Ford back to work?

                                Chris Ford got a call Thursday from Clippers GM Elgin Baylor and was told
                                that the team hoped to have its coaching situation ''wrapped up'' by
                                tomorrow. Ford and Clipper assistant Jim Brewer are presumed to be the two
                                leading candidates. Brewer would come cheaper, which is always a big
                                consideration with the Clippers. Ford is interested in the job, although his
                                wife and kids will stay in Lynnfield for the rest of the season if he gets
                                the nod. By the way, Ford's daughter Katie was chosen All-New England in
                                volleyball from that noted Division 3 juggernaut, Williams College. And
                                Chris Jr. has graduated from college and is coaching an eighth-grade team in
                                southern New Jersey. He's also substitute teaching ... Calipari is eager to
                                get back to work, but said those who thought he was ''going nuts'' were
                                misinformed. He said the down time was a real benefit. ''The last two years,
                                I've been beat up quite a bit,'' he said. ''It was physically grueling; I
                                wasn't used to the long season or the intense scrutiny or the number of
                                games. The lockout was good for me that I got away from that for awhile.''
                                Cal has decisions to make today on two players, one of them believed to be
                                Michael Cage. Their contracts have guarantees that kick in today ... Agent
                                Marc Fleisher, no fan of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, thinks
                                European players won't want to be first-round picks because of the five-year
                                commitment they must give to their NBA team. ''They're better off being
                                second-rounders who can cut their own deals,'' he said. ''The money allotted
                                for first-rounders won't be enough. They can make more in Europe.'' As
                                usual, Fleisher has a couple of obscure (by NBA standards, anyway) clients
                                who may make NBA rosters this season. One is Oded Kattash, who, Fleisher
                                says, is ''the Michael Jordan of Israel'' and plays for Maccabi-Tel Aviv.
                                The Knicks are interested in him and the Clippers and Pistons both wanted to
                                sign Kattash before the lockout. Indiana has some interest in 7-foot
                                Croatian Mate Skelin, another Fleisher client. Steve Kauffman, meanwhile,
                                thinks he has another Bruce Bowen type in Pepperdine's Gerald Brown, who was
                                undrafted. He played very well in an agent's summer league in LA and could
                                wind up in either Phoenix or Indiana ... Utah owner Larry Miller, a man of
                                the people dressed in a sports shirt and sneakers for the Board of Governors
                                meeting, wonders how hoop historians will judge this season. ''I think there
                                might be an asterisk on this season,'' he said. ''I think 50 games gives us
                                some credibility, but it's not a full-blown, 82-game season. You can't say
                                that. Then again, I might feel differently on June 29.'' Miller is fuming
                                over reports that he has a handshake deal with Karl Malone for a new
                                contract. ''I'll say, diplomatically, that I'm frustrated by that,'' he
                                said. ''It distresses me greatly. There is no handshake or deal. We have
                                never talked about a new contract, other than Karl saying he wants to keep
                                playing, he wants to keep playing in Utah, and he wants to make a lot of
                                money. I feel betrayed by whoever said that.'' Miller also said he was stung
                                by Malone's comments during the lockout that he had played his last game as
                                a member of the Jazz and wanted to be traded. ''It really hurt,'' Miller
                                said. ''Our relationship is not a facade. We have gotten close over the
                                years. When I hear that stuff, I wonder where it's coming from. I don't
                                presume to know. The fact that I couldn't talk to him was frustrating for
                                me. But he's also got to be cognizant of the damage he's done, in terms of
                                sponsorships and things like that. No one's going to want a guy who's all
                                over the map.''

                                This story ran on page E02 of the Boston Globe on 01/10/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.