Peter Vecsey: Hunter May Be Replaced; Bucks Talking Ray Allen Trade

                                  [New York Post]
                                       SPORTS

                                                     STERN'S STILL KING DAVID

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    IN the end, as the winds of negotiation rapidly swirled in the NBA's favor, David Stern
                    resisted the urge to commit a flagrant foul on Billy Hunter. Rather than run the
                    bargaining table on the union's executive director, as the more militant owners howled at
                    him to do, he made enoughconcessions - here an extra percentage point, there an extra
                    million dollars to the high end players - in order to disguise the union's surrender.

                    "You never want to make an unfair deal," Stern accentuates. "We couldn't go back to work
                    and have the players resent us every waking hour for the next six or seven seasons. My
                    guys probably think I gave too much. Their guys probably think Billy gave too much."

                    That's being overly kind.

                    "If you're going to put a ceiling on salaries, accept a 10 percent escrow system and put
                    the clamps on rookies, then you should have gotten everything else," complained one
                    fairly influential agent. "Instead, at the expense of the middle class, Billy went right
                    down to the wire trying to get as much as possible for the four or five each season who
                    can command the maximum salary. In every detail that matters to the majority of players
                    he got killed."

                    In the humble opinion of another agent who handles more clients than most, "It was a
                    windfall for the owners. Their franchise value just shot through the sky box roof. They
                    got cost certainty and can now draft someone who's a franchise player, or can develop
                    into one, without worrying about going broke when it's time to re-sign him five years
                    down the road."

                    Hunter sees the final result a bit differently. "I guess we both blinked."

                    Not exactly. Surely Hunter blinked, like a deer frozen by the brights of a car's
                    headlights. But Stern winked. As for Mr. Make A Lot, Spend A lot, Patrick Ewing, he was
                    home sleeping where he belonged.

                    Yeah, that's them, Blinkin', Winkin' and Nod.

                    Too bad the players negotiating committee didn't show enough courage to send Patrick to
                    his room sooner than on the eve of destruction, like three or four months ago, or this
                    conflict might've been wrapped up before a game or a day's wages had been lost.

                    Nor would Hunter be in job jeopardy and in danger of being replaced by Stanley Hill.

                    As for Stern's work, he's good. But he's still no Bobby Simon. *MY only regret regarding
                    the saving of the season is that David Falk and Arn Tellem won't get the opportunity to
                    produce, direct and, naturally, star in the new league they'd hoped, planned and schemed
                    to create. Hey, you hate to lose the kind of momentum they built up from the high class
                    affair they staged in Atlantic City.

                    It tickles me to hear Falk, the heralded phony, warble how much owners have made upon
                    selling their franchises, and how players should share in the profit. Funny thing is,
                    when Falk sold his agent business - comprised strictly of players - I don't recall
                    reading that he shared his percentage of the $150M take with his clients. And unlike the
                    owners whose franchises cost multi-millions when they bought them, Falk's talk is pure
                    profit 'cause he didn't invest a penny.

                    *

                    As far as I know, no free agent has committed to any team yet. But, believe me, there's
                    tampering galore going on throughout the league within the last 48 hours. If your home
                    team isn't cheating, getting in touch with players' agents, friends of friends, or the
                    player directly, it'll be too behind the competition to catch up when the league gives
                    the OK next week to start talking. Unless someone's able to name names and prove there
                    has been premature contact, I suspect the league is going to swallow the whistle on this
                    violation.

                    Has Alonzo Mourning stopped bullying and babbling yet? ... I couldn't wait until this
                    column to reveal the scoop on Brian Williams' name change to Bison Dele. Bison means
                    Brian in Native American. Dele is the African tribe he traced ancestry to ... Word has it
                    Maverick first rounder Dirk Nowitzki has not been playing all that well in Germany.

                    Although this trade possibility appears to be far-fetched, I'm told the Hornets and Bucks
                    have talked about swapping Anthony Mason and Bobby Phills for Ray Allen and Tyrone Hill.
                    No, trading the sweet-shooting Allen doesn't make sense to me, either. Unless, like many
                    of us, Bucks' owner Herb Kohl was turned off by the unnecessary raw sex scenes (they
                    ruined the picture) in "He's Got Game." *UPDATE on LaPhonso Ellis. If the Cavaliers are
                    leaning in his direction they might want to know he can't get his knee insured. For that
                    reason, as much as Nugget GM Dan Issel loves Ellis' attitude (personally, I think he's
                    become selfish) he doesn't plan to offer his free agent forward a long-term contract.

                    According to those who've been playing with Charlie Ward in pickup games, he's vastly
                    improved. Which is why the Knick free agent will have plenty of suitors, but New York
                    management has no intention of letting him get away. Sources say there's a lot more
                    interest in acquiring Chris Childs than is commonly believed ... Anybody have a Dennis
                    Rodman-Carmen Electra update?

                    For Scottie Pippen to wind up in Phoenix, he must convince owner Jerry Colangelo his
                    surgically repaired back and age (33) are worth a $70M expenditure. If the Suns don't
                    want him, the Rockets are bound to lock him up. Somebody has to cover for Hakeem Olajuwon
                    who noticeably slowed down last season.

                    Next time there's a lockout and the union needs to communicate with its membership,
                    rather than flying them into one city, it might want to save a bit of money by utilizing
                    a fax machine, or a conference call, or the Internet.

                    Jeff Van Gundy says he can't wait for camp to open. "I've found it's harder to fake
                    working than actually doing the work," he said. "Here's a positive, parting thought for
                    the players to digest: Guess what, this could've been your career year and you've blown
                    almost half of it.
                    <snip>