Steve Bulpett: Walker Staying; Pitino Says Playoffs Next Season

                  Court's in session: Deal means Walker still in C's plans
                  by Steve Bulpett

                  BOSTON HERALD - Thursday, January 7, 1999

                  NEW YORK -- Rick Pitino is keeping things in perspective
                  even as he switches into high gear for a season no one was
                  certain would happen just two days ago. With the labor
                  impasse settled, Pitino knows he will have games to coach
                  -- and, perhaps more important in the grand scheme, he
                  knows he will be able to make the call on Antoine Walker
                  this coming summer.

                  And while the NBA readies for 50-something games squeezed
                  into a few months and angles for playoff runs, the Celtic
                  leader isn't looking to stray from his plan. The club is
                  still set on long-term goals.

                 ``The main concern in a shortened season is not to go
                  crazy with all the things that could happen,'' Pitino
                  said. ``We're not expecting to win a championship this
                  season anyway.

                 ``The following season is when we have making the playoffs
                  as a goal, and I think we'll still be in line with that.
                  We're still going to work hard to make the playoffs this
                  year, but that would be getting there ahead of schedule if
                  we do it. So whatever they come up with for a season, it's
                  not going to kill us.''

                  The best Celtic news to come out of the new collective
                  bargaining agreement is that management no longer has to
                  worry about getting killed by Walker's free agent contract.
                  Also, Pitino's own contract gives him the right to
                  have final say on it. His deal as coach-president gives
                  him the power to OK contracts averaging up to $14 million,
                  and the new rules will bring Walker below that amount.

                  Under the previous collective bargaining deal, Walker
                  would have been able to ask for a huge six-year extension
                  last summer or maybe an even larger seven-year deal after
                  this season. Though he never stated a figure, it is
                  strongly believed Walker was looking for a little more
                  than $100 million for six years (his pal Kevin Garnett got
                  $126 million over six).

                  In the new agreement, Walker falls into the 0-6 year
                  category and can start his next contract at as much as $9
                  million. With 12 percent raises for players staying with
                  their own teams, the Celtics will be able this summer to
                  offer him seven years at a total of $85,680,000 - an
                  average of $12,240,000.

                  If Walker chooses to go elsewhere as a free agent, the
                  best he can do is a six-year contract with 10 percent
                  raises. The total would be $67,500,000 for an average
                  salary of $11,250,000, meaning Walker would make nearly a
                  million dollars more per year if he stays.

                  The Celtics still aren't allowed to talk about such
                  things, but you can figure on an attempted signing of
                  Walker to be a ``no-brainer.'' The new CBA sets the market
                  rate for players in that experience group, and the Celtics
                  will have to try to keep him as an asset, even if he winds
                  up being traded. The worst case would obviously be losing
                  Walker as a free agent with no return.

                  As for where the Celtics will stand in relation to their
                  opponents in this makeshift season, Pitino is well aware
                  that teams like Utah and Indiana have been working out
                  together on their own, and he knows the Celts have been
                  scattered.

                  ``We don't stand well as far as that's concerned,'' he
                  said. ``But I think what would be worse for us is if we
                  have a schedule that's all or almost all in the Eastern
                  Conference. I think the East is so strong that we'll be in
                  tougher games every night than if we (had a more balanced
                  schedule). But like I said, that's not something we're
                  going to be very concerned about. And there's nothing we
                  can do about the teams that have been working out already.
                  That's their benefit.

                  ``I think our players are going to be in good shape. In a
                  week's time, we'll have them ready.''

                  According to Celts forward Walter McCarty, who was here to
                  vote yesterday, ``No team has an advantage right now,
                  because no one's been playing. Everyone's going to be
                  rusty. The advantage is going to be to whoever can get it
                  together the quickest.

                  ``Right now, we're pretty excited. Everybody's happy with
                  the deal and happy that there is a deal so we can get back
                  to concentrating on playing and getting our team ready.''